Chapter 7

The days that followed over the week had a pattern.

She woke up early each morning and went on a walk before gardening for a few hours. When she returned, she sneaked into the library to borrow books. Over the week, she had come across the beast twice or thrice in the library, but he ignored her and simply walked away.

She was more than happy being ignored.

Just when Jennie decided her time at Gyeongbokgung was going to be a pleasant break, she received a call from Krystal.

"I know this isn't what you expected, Jennie. But I have no other choice."

Jennie was stunned. Krystal had called to let her know that someone from the staff had informed Krystal's father that there were no meetings between Kim Taehyung and his daughter.

Krystal sounded worried. "I thought since Taehyung is desperate for a wife, he would have summoned for you by now and began his wooing."

"I don't think he is interested," said Jennie, recalling his rudeness and impatience whenever they met.

"I know I told you not to speak much or do anything that would give our charade away, but since the prince hasn't met me before, you can be yourself while you spend some time with him. Please, Jennie. Do this for me."

 "That man is rude and arrogant. Each time I came across him, he behaved as though he can't even stand my presence let alone want to spend time in my company."
She felt the same way about him.
"I'm not sure how this would work."

Krystal let out a shuddering breath. "I feel bad putting you in this situation, Jennie. But please, think of a way and do this additional favor as I cannot risk my father finding out that I'm with Kai and not at Gyeongbokgung. Please, Jennie. It's just for another week."

Jennie knew she should be protesting and also demanding more details on how and when Krystal would send her the promised money, but she didn't. "Okay. I'll try my best," she said instead.

"Thanks, Jennie! You are such a life-saver! And Kai is arranging to transfer money into your account. Before you leave Gyeongbokgung, you should have received the amount I promised."

After ending the call, Jennie stared outside the bedroom window. Thoughts of having to face the beast and spend time with him filled her mind.

She was both terrified and strangely intrigued to know more about the reclusive royal man.