Chapter 20

Jennie was outside in the garden, tending to the flowering plants she had added around the barren tree. She was so involved that it took a while to realize that someone was calling her name.

"Jennie?"

It was Jang mi. 

"What is it, Jang mi?"

"We have a visitor."

Jennie frowned. "Who?" 

"It's madam Hana. She just arrived and is asking for you."

Jennie was stunned and then terrified. Hana Kim was Taehyung's aunt. 

 "Tell her I'm coming."

She wore something formal and elaborate even though it was an informal meet. With her heart pounding inside her chest, she went into the formal meeting room where the visitor was waiting.

A regal-looking older woman was seated. There was a silver tea set in the front.

"You must be Krystal," she said.

 "Yes. It's a pleasure to meet you again, your highness." Krystal had specifically mentioned that the older woman liked to be referred to that way.

The woman looked exactly how Jennie had imagined a royal to look. Even the look she wore on her face was severe and regal.

Jennie took the seat opposite her. She didn't say anything and waited for the other woman to talk. She didn't want to risk saying something that would give her charade away.

"You must be wondering why I'm here when Taehyung is away."

Jennie nodded.

The older woman raised her chin. "I know you are playing along because of your father and also for the title. So, I have a proposition for you to achieve both."

Jennie was taken aback. For some reason, she thought the older woman didn't approve of her and would warn her off.

"Taehyung doesn't care for you. He's only using you. He's turning twenty-eight in six months, and he knows that if he doesn't marry a royal woman before his birthday, he would lose his legacy."

Jennie was stunned.

"Sunwoo was here a week ago. He told me about you, and he also told me how Taehyung was using you callously. My son likes you, and he told me that he wants to marry you."

A surreal feeling took over, and Jennie's head spun with the information. Taehyung had to marry a royal woman in six months? Or he'd lose everything? 

Her heart began to thud at the implications.

The older woman raised her chin again. "So you are going to marry that monster, then?" the older woman demanded. "Help him steal my son's legacy?"

Tears prickled Jennie's eyes as she slowly shook her head. "No," she whispered. "I won't marry Taehyung."

Relief passed on the older woman's face. "You won't regret that decision. Sunwoo will make an excellent husband."

Jennie just nodded. The older woman left right away, saying she had to join the next day's board meeting.

Jennie remained there for much longer staring blankly at nothing in particular.

In the blink of an eye, her world seemed to have shifted. A few minutes ago, she was floating in happiness, and now, she was plunged into reality.

If he doesn't marry by the time he turns twenty-eight, he will lose his title and inheritance.

There wasn't enough time, but whatever time was left, he could still find a suitable woman from a royal background to marry.

A blinding pain crushed her heart imagining him with another woman. But before she broke, she hurried through her next course of action.

She called Jang mi first. She controlled herself to keep her voice steady. "Jang mi. Can you please arrange for a car ride?"

"Sure, Jennie." the older woman said cheerfully.

"Thank you." 

Mechanically, she went up the stairs to the top floor west wing. Her lips trembled when she opened the door to the suite, and her beast's cologne wafted in the air.

Keeping her eyes focused on the task at hand and not wanting to see anything that would remind her of her beast, she began to write a letter.

When she had come here, she was very clear about what she had wanted in life. Falling in love and dreaming of a future with a man who was from an entirely different world was not part of the plan.

She had to leave this place. She would also try her hardest to leave the memories behind as well.

And also her heart.