Chapter 9: The Family We Choose Part II

In the time it took for them to get ready, I had finished making the dinner table and set the food out in separate bowls. I think I did a pretty good job considering it was my first-time making dinner for a family of five. Family of five...

"What is this...?" Tayuya sat down next to me, eyeing the food.

"It's called Kaiseki Ryori. Basically, a set of different bowls that you can pick and choose what you want." I pointed at the bowl with clear liquid. "Don't worry, it's not Sake but rather soup. We also have Sashimi but be careful of the green stuff. It'll burn off your taste buds. There's also a boiled dish, grilled dish, and steamed dish. Though I didn't fry anything, so you're tough out of luck if that's what you like."

I tried to think if I was forgetting anything. I mean, there was rice and miso soup, but that was for after the main course. I did skip appetizers but I was being rushed so no point in that.

"Oh yeah, we have dessert when you're finished." I then whispered in her ear with a chuckle. "It's just fruit though."

"But the fire? You burned everything."

"You know I can control the temperature, right? I was in a hurry, so there may have been more smoke than usual, but I don't have to burn things to cinders with my fire. It's called cooking."

Tayuya stared at me, eyes wide as if I had done something profound. Every ninja knew some ways to use their Jutsus for basic things like, Hiruzen-sensei used his earth style to extend the table so we could all sit at the table. Sui used her water style to put out the pipe he was smoking, and Konohamaru, well... he was still an academy student.

"But... why even learn that? When you could be learning something useful: like how to not fry yourself with Lightning Cloak."

"I think being able to cook is something useful." I said, laughing. I knew what she meant, so I wasn't too bothered by Tayuya's comment. She was just like him.

"Sasuke said the same thing when they cut the Uchiha residence's power supply for a year. He didn't understand why I wasted time practicing things like making my fireball Jutsu weaker. Though I did it so we can have moments like this."

I stared at everyone at the table, laughing and enjoying their meal. It was almost as if I could see them: mom, dad, and Yukino. All of them, eating dinner together as we talked about our day. Typically I'd start off with my day and how it began with Sasuke running behind me because one of the girls wanted to talk to him. Geez, he was such a baby back then. What happened?

"Here." Tayuya handed me a piece of tissue paper.

I took the hint that something was on my face, and sure enough, I got the tissue all damp. I was glad she caught that because I'd hate to kill the mood.

"You know, I think I get it. Where I was raised. We didn't do things like this. All that mattered was how strong we were." Tayuya flexed her hand, and like Sui's, they were covered in scratches. So much for being a god. I doubt she understood that only humans had imperfections.

"So your memories, this village, it's all so different. Makes me kind of hate you more." Tayuya said with a playful glint in her eye.

"Really, and I thought you were warming up to me."

"As if fucker."

We both started laughing until Sui glared at us.

"Hey you two, no more talking and get to eating. We still have work to do after this."