Chapter 14

"This is Kane's Woodworks. How may I help you?" Mo answered, pulling up the new order processing site.

"Thanks for getting that, babe," Kane said, pulling off his safety glasses.

"I'm getting used to it now," she said. She had become quite efficient at helping with anything with his business, and Kane paid her as well as he possibly could. It was only hourly, but she did tend to put in a lot of hours between the shop and home. 

"That new system really makes my life easier," he sighed, pulling a chair up besides hers. He inspected her, but she turned away. He reached for her chin, making her look at him. "You don't look well. Are you sick?" He placed the back of his hand to her forehead.

"No, I'm okay."

"Can I have Goldfish?" Dray asked, looking up from the train he was pushing around.

"Yeah, kiddo. Take one for your brother and sister," she said, holding out three little containers.

"Mo," he said. "It's something. I know you better than anyone."

She bit her lip before whispering, "I don't really want to talk about it. Please?"

"Okay, " he eased. "Whenever you want to talk, I'm here."

He got up to stand but she reached for his hand, stopping him.

"I just haven't been sleeping. That's all."

Kane figured that. She had been doing so well after meeting his mom and settling into a routine, but the past week something had totally disrupted that. He knew mourning was a process and there were going to be good days and bad, he just didn't expect to feel so helpless.

"Why don't we cut today short and you can take a nap? I'll watch the kids. I know their routine," he brushed away the hair from her face.

Her bottom lip trembled, "It won't help. Everytime I close my eyes, I see her."

"Poor baby. Please don't cry. It breaks my heart," he whispered, knocking his forehead with hers. "What brought this on?"

"When we moved, I didn't go through any of her stuff, and I've been trying to. Dray is getting ready to start school. The house is a mess. It's too much." She shook her head. "I can't do it, Kane."

"Yes, you can," he insisted. "Just let me help you. Let mom watch the kids for an hour, and we can get everything sorted."

She rubbed her eyes, glancing down at the children who were chattering. She knew they were getting antsy, and some fresh air would do them some good.

"I've never left the kids for a moment," she said.

"You can't use them as an excuse."

He was right. She had been putting off so many things because they had to come first, but she was ready to get things rolling again.

---

"Thank you so much for doing this. I promise we won't be long," Mo said, feeling like a burden.

Amy gave her signature warm smile. "Dear, I would watch your kids in a heartbeat, every hour of every day. I love spending time with them."

Morgan and Dray had already found their way to the backyard to help Dave in the garden. Lilliana was already pulling out toys. She was upset at first, but was immediate consoled by the idea of chocolate chip cookies and dolls.

"Thanks, mom. Love you," Kane kissed her cheek.

It was a weird feeling. She was suddenly all alone, and a flood of emotion hit her like a freight train. She was tired, so tired of being upset, tired of crying, tired of seeing the kids crying. She didn't know how much more she could give.

Her first real breakdown caused her to collapse on her couch. It was long overdue. She hated when the kids saw her upset, so she had been pushing it away. It was exhausting having to be strong all the time.

Kane pulled her curled up form as close as possible as she cried, long and hard. He stroked her back, his heart breaking for her.