Chapter 15: Don't let go

I walked across campus to my math class when I ran into Frankie she looked scared.

"Frankie are you alright?"

Her eyes were distant, but she nodded her head yes. She looked at me with that distant look and plastered a smile to her face. I looked her up and down and continued walking, she followed suit right besides me, holding my hand for what I thought was reassurance.

We continued walking to class when the tardy bell rang. I cursed under my breath but continued walking in a steady pace. Frankie seemed to calm down a bit and began typing vigorously on her phone, her distant look in her eyes seemed to disappear and her bright blue eyes shined normally. I decided to read her mind for reassurance that everything was OK.

But it wasn't. I stiffened my body and seized walking when I found out what Frankie was freaked out about. Something was at the school, and they were looking for me.

                                         *          *          *

I ran into my dorm, waking Sam from his nap. He sprang right up at the sound of the door slamming open and looked at me curiously. I shook my head at him wildly and ran into my room.

I grabbed my old freshman year backpack and began unloading the weapons that I had stored in there. I picked up the morning star that I had gotten from the renasaince fair last year and swung it around, making sure it felt good in my hands before setting it down and looking for my protection necklace.

The necklace was something Rougue had given me years ago when we had spell making class together. She told me that it was a strong spell that warded off any dark creatures that tried to hurt me, but where the hell did I put it!?

Sam walked in when I began searching through my closet for the necklace and picked up the morning star. It was a shiny metal from all the time I would spend polishing it. It had a ton of spikes petruding from the little ball on top of the long handle. It has enough weight on it that one swing would just crush someones head in a matter of milliseconds. Sam held it in his hand studying it before setting it back down on my desk and smirking at me.

I handed him a one handed ax from my backpack before going to my dresser and continued searching for the necklace. His smirk widened when I did this and he began to chuckle.

"Did you want to play the hunger games or something? I'd prefer to play katniss if you don't mind since I am the most badass here."

I turned toward him and threw a shirt at him.

"Stop making jokes for once in your life Sam! Sometimes at the school looking for me."

Sam looked confused but let me continue.

"I read Frankie's mind before I came here. Someone forced there way through the front gates and are looking for me. I think they want to kill me Sam, I need your help. I called Rougue, she's outside the dorm with Robin keeping an eye out."

Sam's eyes widened at this and he clutched the ax harder. He went over to my bedside table and began searching for my necklace.

Suddenly, a loud crash sounded in the living room. We both froze and looked at each other. I ran over to my desk and clutched my morning star with sweaty hands. I've never had to kill anything before, I've never even fought an actual battle before, but I wasn't about to let myself die because of it.

Sam stood next to me, prepared to face whatever it was that was heading toward my room. We heard an ear splitting wail as it began slithering closer to the door. Sam touched my shoulder for reassurance that it was all gonna be OK but I shrugged his hand off, I didnt have time for distractions. Something was outside the door, and I was ready to face it.The door opened slowly and I froze when I saw what it was.

I didn't know what it was to be honest. It looked like a giant snake but it had legs and smoke wafted from all over its body. The smoke stunk up the whole room and it took every once of strength in my body not to throw up. It smelled like a dying corpse and more and more smoke came from its body like a waterfall.

Sam inch closer to it and swung his ax. The beast dogded it easily and swiped at him. Its claws hooked on his T-shirt and threw him across the room, crashing against my dresser and passing out. I looked back at the beast as it went for me, I screamed and swung ny morning star. It made contact with its eye and it screamed. I dropped my morning star trying to cover my ears as it screamed louder and louder. It swiped at me and left a cut going across my chest. I fell to the floor in agony, hands pressed against my chest to stop the bleeding. It swiped at me again and slammed its hand on my head. I heard a crushing sound a the room began to get foggy. I started to close my eyes and welcome death when I heard the beast wail and a bright blue light lit up the room.

I brought my head up and saw Frankie in the doorway of my room throwing ice spells at the beast. Ice was her specialty and I gazed in awe as I saw blue light hit the beast and ice crystals begin to form and stabbed into it.

The beast screamed and writhed in pain. It turned toward Frankie and begin to run after her. She turned around and ran out of the dorm and onto the courtyard, the beast trailing close behind her.

I forced myself up, pain shot through my whole body, but I stood up on shaky legs and ran out after them into the courtyard. I froze at my front door when I saw three more beasts outside coming toward the dorm. I ran back to my room and grabbed my morning star, ready to fight to the death.

I swung at the first one, hitting it on its snout and jumped over the second one, heading for the courtyard. I fought one besides Frankie as she through more ice spells at the others. I slammed my morning star against its chest and it fell to the floor in a scream, green blood pouring from the wound. I turned around and began pummeling the shit out of the other one. Frankie took down one of them but was having trouble with the second one. I slammed my morning star into the beasts head and ripped it out, killing it immediately. I went towards Frankie and hit the beast.

But it dogded it and jumped onto Frankie. She was struggling to keep it mouth away from her face. I tried to swing at it again, but both of them began rolling around, fighting to stay on top and kill. I was scared, if I missed I'd kill Frankie, but if I made it I'd kill the beast and save her. She saw me contemplating and threw her hand out. She sent a wind spell my way and knocked the weapon from my hands.

"Don't worry about me, go kill the other one!"

I turned around and saw the demon standing behind me. He had a smirk on his face and a knife in his hand. I punched him and he fell to the ground, but not before her cut my arm.

I screamed at the pain and clutched it. Blood was pouring out from it and it began to burn. The knife must have been silver. I heard a terrified scream come from where Frankie was and looked up to see the beats biting on her torso. She clawed at it and threw spell after spell at it but it just continued. She screamed with pain and writhed around, making it worse.

My eyes teared up with anger, I tried to get up it was frozen to where I was. Her screams got louder and more pain filled and there was nothing I could do. I screamed with anger and frustration. Why!?

Suddenly, an orange light burst from my body. It hurt but at the same time felt like something was finally lifted from me. I screamed and the light flew towards Frankie and the beast. At first, it lit up the beast and it turned to ash, but as I screamed from the shock, the light freaked out and burned over Frankie. She wailed in such pain. She tried to get up but her legs had burnt up. I tried to stop it but the more I yelled the brighter the flame got and the faster she disappeared. I didn't know what to do. I stopped screaming and began to cry with frustration but the flame. Continued, until only her hand was left.

I finally got the strength to get up and ran to where her body used to be. I scooped up the ashes and cried. I don't know what happened but I did know one thing for sure, Frankie was dead, and I was the one to kill her.