2 : Not the first meet

While walking back toward the town, William turned around, as if he remembered something, and walked back on the path toward the woods. Walking through bushes and trees, managing his flowing trench coat, he said he visited a lake nearby, some distance deep in the woods.

At that time, there were many strange stories and theories about the lake and the mysterious blue lilies growing around it. Those flowers, which were not seen anywhere else except the lake, would shine in the moonlight, and it was said, in the right circumstances, would change the flow of time around the area. Which William believed, after looking at the sky. Not much time had passed since the morning, and the sky was already shining with the orange rays of the setting sun.

He gathered the soft bushes nearby to make a seat and spread a white cloth, he was carrying in his coat, on the top to make it more comfortable. Gathering dry wood, he soon lit up the fire for warmth and to avoid insects, and calmly sat there, alone. It wasn't a new thing, though. He did this many times before.

When it was almost night, and the fire was still up, a small wrapped cloth fell from above, just beside him. The cloth unwrapped as it struck the ground, revealing two fresh fishes, neatly wrapped.

"There," came the voice from above the tree behind him. "Got some for you."

William turned back and glanced up, noticing Rivia, sitting on a strong branch of the tree behind, staring him in the eyes. She jumped down without injuries and glanced back at William.

"Now that was most unexpected," William said.

She gave a look, "Don't like getting helped by a girl?"

"Just not used to getting help in the woods." he shrugged.

Rivia came close to the fire and had a seat beside William; he permitted, as the grass cushion was big enough for more than two people to rest.

"So you're just spending spare time in the woods?" The woman asked.

"Should I not?"

"It's rather unexpected for a busy person like you," Rivia said. "With all those cases, the mayor throws at you, to be noticed resting, spending time in front of a lake in the warmth of a fire."

"I was just having time alone until you showed up." He said, cleaning the small sticks, on which he'd placed the fish.

"You shouldn't just roam in the woods at night," she replied. "You might face someone... someone sinister of a sort."

William placed the fishes, piercing the sticks through their bodies, near the fire. "It is not the first time I'm in the woods alone at night," he replied. "Quite used to it, in fact."

"People say Devils roam around in this forest at night."

Laughter escaped William, "Maybe it's just a woman, who's seen these areas recently, who likes killing others."

Giving him a look, Rivia asked, "You think I'm a devil?"

"Well, what do you think?"

"I bleed red when I cut myself," she said. "I guess that's an ability of a normal being."

William went quiet, listening to her words. Her thought process and the way she'd see the world around her fascinated him. A thought also wandered in his mind, why would she attempt to cut herself, if she was legit with her words?

Changing the topic, he asked, "So... did you decide?"

"Yes, I did. . . I shall be leaving tomorrow morning before the sun rises," she said, "Maybe to Scythia."

"Scythia?"

She nodded.

"That is not a bad decision," William said, "I know some people there. . . though, I doubt you would need anybody's help."