Chapter 7: The Day's End

After the concert, you were reminded of that one period that had been highlighted on your schedule. You decided to ask someone about that, and Logan was in the teacher's lounge with Spencer-Lynn, giving her a foot massage.

"Hey, guys, I have a question," you said.

"We are not naming the baby after you, [name]," Logan said with a laugh.

"That's not it!" you said. "I have a period on my schedule that's highlighted. Do either of you know what that means?"

"It's an observation period," replied Logan. "They're a thing for all new teachers. During that period you're required to observe a teacher doing their thing in their classroom, but it can't be another new teacher. Is that eighth period, by any chance?"

"Yeah, how'd you know?"

"That's Spencer-Lynn's observation period, as well."

You turned to her, wondering why she hadn't been talking, when you noticed she had her eyes closed, and there were earbuds in her ears. She probably didn't even know you were there.

"At any rate, you have a whole period to decide on who you'll be watching," Logan continued. "Think about it."

"What do you suggest, then?"

"I spent many of my observation periods either with Laguna, because that class is fun, or with Mrs. Estheim, because free food," replied Logan.

"Well, I did enjoy my days in theater..." you said pensively. "Perhaps I should pay Laguna a visit."

Spencer-Lynn woke up then, and jumped in fright because she hadn't been expecting you to be standing there. "Oh, hi," she said. "What's up?"

"Logan and I just had an entire conversation while you were tuned out," you told her. "He lost a bet to me, and now your baby's name has to be Parrot."

You could practically see the baby objecting to that.

"She's kidding," Logan said softly. He then turned to you. "Don't scare a pregnant woman!"

"Sorry." You shrugged.

"It's okay. I wouldn't expect you to know." Spencer-Lynn smiled, gently rubbing her stomach, smiling down at it. "Have you ever thought about having children?"

"Can't say I've been thinking about much of anything for the past few years."

"You know, it's amazing. I haven't named, or even met, this little girl yet, but I already love her with all of my heart." Spencer-Lynn smiled. "There's this little life growing inside of me that I made with the man I love, and that just... it makes me feel a type of happiness that's... it's difficult to explain, but it's an amazing feeling."

"I like that this has made her boobs grow," Logan said shamelessly.

Spencer-Lynn put a pillow in his face.

"You two haven't changed at all." You laughed. "I think I'll pay Laguna a visit; we got cut off last time when I wanted to talk to him..."

~ * ~

"I'm glad you chose me today!" Laguna grinned. "You took my class, so you should be able to appreciate this lesson!"

"Of course, Laguna. I'll help out the best way I can, if you need me."

"Great! Well, uh, I probably won't need any help since it's the first day, but it's still good to have you here! For now, I guess we just wait for the period to start and the students to come in."

"Cool. Are we expecting a large crowd?" you asked.

"I have enrollment at 13 for this class, so not at all," replied Laguna. "I should see if we can get some of my first period in this one, I had almost 40 kids in here!"