Chapter 9: Girls' Night Out

You went to school early the next day to have a look around, hoping that someone else you knew was around. Your wish came true in the form of hearing Maceida at the piano; you didn't want to interrupt her, but she likely had the information you needed.

"Good morning." She smiled at you.

"You seem so energetic, somebody's obviously had their coffee," you said with a laugh.

"When you have a child, your sleep pattern turns to fucking shit. I've been up since five."

"Oh." It was 6:45, according to your watch.

"So, what's the word? Why'd you come in so early, there?" Maceida turned the page of her sheet music. "There's more than an hour until school starts."

"About that..." You walked closer to the piano. "What if I said I wanted to have a girls' night out, like the old days? You know, to reconnect and what have you."

"Hm..." Another turn of a page. "I'd say that'd be a fucking riot! I mean, between you practically fucking raising from the dead, me barely getting any time to myself since I've become a mum, and Quisty studying so hard in school... I think it's an excellent idea. Vanille and Yuna would love to come too, I bet."

You hadn't even seen Yuna yet. "Oh, I'm getting excited just thinking about it," you said, rubbing your hands together. "Wait, but how will you be able to find a sitter for El-" You froze. "Ely... Elysian! Yeah, your child."

Maceida just laughed at you. "I have Irvine."

"Do you really want to leave your child with Irvine?"

"If I didn't think Irvine was capable of caring for a child, I wouldn't have married him, let alone let him knock me up." Maceida looked up at the ceiling. "It'll be fine. I'll text him right now and let him know."

You were itching, at this point, to further ask Maceida about Irvine and herself, but then you realized it'd be better to ask her when you had this proposed girls' night out. It'd seem less intimidating then.

"So, what are you doing here so early, then?" you asked.

"Ah, I was bored at home. Irvine and Elysian are sleeping. We don't have a piano." She shrugged. "Plus, Laguna asked if I could compose something for our school's anthem."

"We have a school anthem?"

"We do now."

"Oh." You began to trace the golden lining of the piano with your fingers.

"It's still cheesy as shit, like all school anthems," added Maceida with a laugh.

You nodded. "Is breakfast being served this early? I think I'll go get some. I'd be honored to eat with you."

"Breakfast opens at seven, so you have some time there." Maceida brushed her hair away from her face. "I already ate, but thank you for the invitation."

"No problem. Hey, before I take off, do you mind giving me the girls' cell numbers? I have to be able to contact them."

"Yeah, sure." Maceida grabbed her phone again, and began to unlock the screen. "Here you go."

"Thanks." You started to scroll through Maceida's contacts to find the people you needed, then pulled out your phone to copy down the numbers. You did take notice that she had a relaxing sounds app, and a lullaby app. Oh, the life of a mother.

~ * ~

There was a meeting today during lunch, regarding extracurricular activities being offered at the school. The teachers' lounge was too small for this occasion, so you all met in one of the dance rooms