Descending Stars (TanjiroxKanao)

A/N: This idea was from the move Stardust. Enjoy ;)

Constellations are a group of stars that seem close together, so that when people look up at the night sky, they are seen as a family tied together by an invisible string. 

But in reality, the stars are much farther away than you could have ever imagined. Billions of light years apart, they are destined to keep up the image of closeness in order to appease the audience down below. 

Stars cannot grant your wishes, nor can they even possibly fall from the sky, their infinite heavenly power keeping them strong in the atmosphere above. 

But when a star falls to the ground, that's when the constellation falls apart. 

---

"Stars are huge celestial bodies made mostly of hydrogen and helium, that produce light and hat from the churning nuclear forges inside their cores. Aside from our beautiful sun, the dots of light we see in the sky are all light-years from Earth." the professor pointed to the simple map of seemingly inconspicuous dots scattered randomly across the paper. 

"What about the urban legend, Professor?" a student called out. Her eyes glittered with excitement; she had been waiting for the opportunity to present itself. 

"Ah, the urban legend of the Wish Star," the professor chuckled lightly, "unfortunately, that's just a myth that people made up in order to prevent naughty kids from doing anything bad. It would be wonderful to see a star in person, though," 

Half of the class was immersed in the topic, while the other half was staring out the window that took up half of the wall in the science classroom. 

Tanjiro Kamado should have been paying attention. After all, it was only a few more weeks until the third year was over, and he could finally be a full-time employee at his family's bakery. Then he could finish his studies and help sponsor his little sister with her medical treatment.

"This week, we will be taking a trip to Ashibetsu, to chart and watch the stars," the teacher exclaimed, "for about three days," 

The class groaned simultaneously, the thought of going to a trip in the middle of the spring didn't seem appealing, even to the ones invested in the subject. 

"Only a select few will be going on this trip. I can only take fifteen," the teacher shrugged sheepishly, "any volunteers?" 

Only half the class raised their hands, while the others looked away, whistling to themselves. 

Tanjiro had no choice but to raise his hand. After all, his siblings would be angered if he put them above his own enjoyment, and he had yet to explore the sights that the professor had offered with his classmates. 

"Sure, why not," he shrugged his shoulders, his earrings swaying. Gripping his shoulders in excitement, the notorious class clown, Inosuke Hashibira, smiled at him as Zenitsu flashed a quiet grin. 

---

"Brother, this is wonderful! You finally get the chance to go out and see the world!" Nezuko exclaimed at the dinner table. His mother hummed n agreement, but her tired and weary face nearly made him take back the announcement. 

"Yeah!" Shigure pumped his miniature fist in the air, "it'll be great, Nee-san! Go out and exlpore the world! Just like you always wanted!"    

"Mother, are you sure it's alright?" Hanako asked quietly. She was overjoyed that her brother was finally being selfish for once in his life, being 16 and all, but the worry that her mother would burden herself overcame that thought.