The Garden (SanemixKanae)

The promise of the secret garden had been arranged by Ubuyashiki himself. Serving as a second home to the inhabitants of the Butterfly estate, as well as a place of solace for the other Hashira, the garden was set into motion. 

Both Kanae and Sanemi were put in charge of it, but to her delight and his disdain. 

"Why do I have to watch over this stupid garden project?" he grumbled. 

Kanae walked past the Kakushi, who were nailing a post into another. She stopped, and smiled. 

"Sanemi-kun, don't you believe that this should be a project you should take pride in? Maybe have a sense of dignity as you work? Honesty is key here." 

She enunciated each words with such venom in her voice that he shuddered at the sound. They resumed walking, with her checking off several boxes on her list. 

"Imagine, Sanemi-kun, this will look terrific once finished," an ambitious spark in her eye gleamed. 

"Ah yes," he gritted his teeth. 

"Now, where's the hammer..." 

If it wasn't for her absentmindedness, she might have been able to avoid the sudden disaster. 

"Kocho!" 

She perked up at the sound of her last name, realizing that Sanemi was launching himself at her. Not having time to move, her eyes widened as he threw himself on top of her, a pillar landing with a crash. 

The post had split down the middle, and she groaned. 

"More parts and money needed," 

"Kanae, are you kidding me? You could've been seriously injured!" he protested as she began to walk away, chasing after her as his sword swung across his hip. 

"I'll be fine, Sanemi. After all, I am a Hashira." 

He gripped her wrist tightly. 

"But you are not a god, Kanae-chan. This is NOT the best time to be joking right now." he gritted his teeth. 

"Ara~ara, Sanemi... Are you worried about me?" she teased. He let go of her hand nearly immediately, and she disappointed by the loss of contact. 

"Never mind that! Let's help the Kakushi." 

As she turned around, he didn't seem to notice the blush creeping across her cheeks. 

"Oh, and Sanemi-kun?" 

He looked at her, disdain still filling his pruple eyes. 

"Thanks," she looked back to throw a smile at him, "for everything." 

Rendered speechless by her smile, he simply nodded and turned around, only to follow her seconds later at the sound of her retreating footsteps.