Thunder (ZenitsuxNezuko)

He recalled that bright summer day. 

With the forecast for bright sunlight and no clouds, the day seemed to be filled with promise. Cherry red lips and bright pink eyes, glimmering with excitement and laughter and cheer. 

There were only two problems. 

She was Tanjiro's sister. 

He cursed lightly into his pillow. 

Damn it, damn it. 

Why did she have to be Tanjiro's sister?

Of course, there was nothing wrong with Tanjiro Kamado. In fact, he was the nicest human being, possibly on the planet. 

The other problem?

Her boyfriend. 

He had known Tanjiro since he was a little child in a diaper, chuckling with absentminded glee on the veranda of his home. 

But her boyfriend?

A rather short person for his age, Rui was the epitome of all things frightening and scary. Surely he could brave it for his Nezuko, right?

...

It was barely a minute when he was smacked into the wall, to the shock of the Kamados and the pleasure of its deliverer. 

"Zenitsu-kun!" Nezuko shrieked, though she was held back by her brother, who wanted to rush into the fight himself. 

"Stay back, Nezuko!" Rui snarled, "this philanderer is a pervert and a creep!"

"That's Zenitsu!" Tanjiro protested. 

Well, actually...

Zenitsu was kind of a pervert. But despite all of his faults, he had proved a loyal and true (definitely not the brave type) friend. 

"I don't want you talking to him!" Rui rushed up to his girlfriend and gripped her by the shoulders, making her wince. 

"Nezuko! Is something wrong?" Tanjiro cried urgently. With the kimono slipping from her shoulder, the concealment of the fabric had been ripped away, revealing a bright purple bruise, trailing along her shoulder. 

"Where the hell did you get these?" Tanjiro demanded. 

"I-" Nezuko muttered softly, without a reply. Rui's gaze hardened. 

"Rui." Nezuko said. 

His eyes aflame, Tanjiro turned towards the older boy and began to slap him. Nezuko was crying. 

She was crying. 

"I don't care about your lineage, or your familial relationship with the mayor! But that's my sister, you bastard!" Tanjiro yelled in outrage at the older man. 

"Don't touch me. I can do whatever the hell I want to Nezuko, you hear?" Rui snapped, throwing a punch. Tanjiro skidded to the ground, to the horror of his sister, who cradled his head in her lap.

Seeing Nezuko cry was the last straw for Zenitsu. Tanjiro wasn't dead. He could hear his strong heart beating. But he surely wouldn't get up without serious help. 

"And you! Stay away from Nezuko!" Rui declared, pointing a finger at the blond. 

Thunder rumbled in the background, but before the lightning could flash, Zenitsu had already launched himself at the cause of Nezuko's pain. 

They collided with a thud, with Rui hitting hit head on the hard cement floor, blood beginning to ooze from the spot of collision. 

"Zenitsu!" Nezuko protested, pulling his sleeve. But he was too far gone with rage. He began pummeling the white-haired man with all his strength, before Nezuko rushed at him with her body weight, throwing him off onto the grass. 

He thrashed underneath her, but not wanting to hurt her like her boyfriend had, ceased his movements when she whined. 

"Please, no more violence. Tanjiro, you, I-" she murmured, on the brink of tears. Nezuko was strong. It took a lot to break her. 

Rui was silent on the cement. Surely he wasn't dead, the faint beating of his heart was a strong enough indication.

"I'm sorry. I-I don't." 

The woman he loved was shaking above him, her bruises revealed and broken out into a cold sweat. 

"We'll take him to a hospital." Tanjiro urged, holding his arm, his knees bent as if he was to give out any minute. 

"Of course." Zenitsu nodded. 

"After this... we'll call in... him." Tanjiro urged, opening his bent up cell phone na ddialing a number, which was colored red.

"Are you... sure about this?" Zenitsu murmured, picking up Nezuko bridal-style. Tanjiro nodded as the man, whom they both trusted with their lives, picked p the phone. 

"Kentaro! Monichi! What happened this time?" a proud voice smirked. 

"He beat up a guy?" the man asked in disbelief. 

"Yes. They mayor's son." Tanjiro confirmed. 

"Oh hoho!" the man yelled, seemingly clenching his fist over the phone. 

"We need protection. New identities. With Aoi's help, I beg you. You definitely can not pick the names." Tanjiro demanded. 

He ended the call with a firm press of his thumb to the screen.

"W-Who was that?" Nezuko whimpered softly. 

"Inosuke Hashibira. Leader of the mafia." he replied. Nezuko paled. 

"B-But! You didn't kill anyone!" Nezuko protested, pointing to her boyfriend, now former. 

"All the same," Tanjiro mused, "we must go into hiding. The mayor will likely figure that his son was beaten nearly to death," 

He paused for emphasis. 

"And he will launch a full-scale investigation. Luckily, he only knows your name." Tanjiro jotted down a few names in his notepad before crumpling it up in irritation. 

"Neesan, how do you know all of this?" Nezuko rose an eyebrow. 

"Where do you think I go when I'm not carrying groceries?" he smirked playfully, but his expression was completely serious.

"I, myself, am included." Zenitsu raised his hand, before nodding. 

"They'll be here. Around the corner. Naho's driving the car." Tanjiro walked away from the trio, as the car skidded to a stop in front of the street, with Rui's unconscious body laying in front of it. 

Calmly stepping over it, Tanjiro opened the door stepping to the side for the others. He watched as Zenitsu walked over, stepping to the opposite side for Nezuko. 

Smiling softly, being with the ones she loves, she took a step forward for the new phase in her life. 

But their soft gazes turned to panic with the sharp impalement of a syringe in her back, the liquid of the goal running through her veins. 

Collapsing, she was embraced by warm arms, her Zenitsu. 

"Warm..." she murmured, before shutting her eyes. The duo, rushing to get inside the car, swept Nezuko up by her feet as a rain of bullets set fire to the car.