cornerstone

::::::

when i saw that she was on her own
i thought she might understand
that she was close

well, you couldn't get much closer
she said, "i'm really not supposed to, but yes
you can call me anything you want"

- cornerstone : arctic monkeys

::::::

(relevant to chapter 64 of the tokyo revengers manga)

2005

y/n had been anxiously waiting by her window all day, her gaze switching from her phone, to the door, waiting for a call, or someone to come by.

as it got darker, she really started worrying. chifuyu said he would call when the fight was over. surely they weren't still going? chifuyu promised it would be alright; promised he would be alright. they hadn't known each other long, but they were already really close.

it was some time around 7, and y/n had called chifuyu about 15 times. a tear ran down her cheek when she heard a knock on the door.

she rushed to open it, and as soon as she saw chifuyu on the other side, she wrapped her arms around him so tightly, it was a miracle he was able to hug her back. 

"w... what happened?" y/n asked when she heard chifuyu crying too, neither of them letting go of the other. 

"b-" chifuyu sobbed, "baji-san."

y/n let him go for a moment, to look him in the eyes.

"what happened to baji-san?" y/n almost didn't want to ask, thinking if she didn't, it would somehow reverse whatever happened.

chifuyu shook his head, "he's gone." 

tears fell from both of their eyes and chifuyu held onto her tightly, afraid she would slip away too. 

when they both ran out of tears, they had no clue how long they had been there for.

y/n sniffled, "it's getting late."

"i can't go back there... i can't face his mom..." chifuyu hung his head. how could he go back there and tell his mom that her only son is dead, and it's all his fault?

"my parents are out of town, so you could stay here... i'll just sleep on the couch."

"thanks... but sleep in your own bed, i'll take the couch."

"sure." she gave him a weak smile, that wasn't extremely convincing, "i'll make some tea."

they sat next to each other on the couch and watched whatever movie was playing. y/n revisited the conversation of who was sleeping on the couch, and managed to convince chifuyu to sleep in her room. 

y/n had fallen asleep on the couch anyways, which made chifuyu forget about what had happened earlier in the day and smile, even if it was just for a moment...

::::::