We Broke Into Karen's House (Suburbia Part 10)

By u/firesidechats451

It wasn't a very good picture of Francesca. She was turning away and her face was slightly blurred. "Um," I said. "What about her?"

"She's kind of an oddball, don't you think?" Shirley said, flipping through her other papers. "Just shows up one day, claiming to be a nail tech and making nice. But no one seems to know where she comes from."

"Ah, well," I said, shifting in my seat. "I mean, I don't really like to pry into people's lives too much. Now that I think about it, I don't really know where anyone in Blessed comes from." I met her eyes, trying hard not to show just how scared I was. "For instance, I have no idea where you lived before, Shirley. And we're friends, right?"

Shirley blinked in surprise, then smirked. "Thank you for your interest," she said, squaring her pages. "But my preferences lie elsewhere."

"Oh," I said, coloring. "No, um, I wasn't—"

"The thing is," Shirley barreled through my stuttering. "Frances isn't a nail technician. We've checked with the state's Board of Cosmetology, and she isn't licensed. So if she's practicing, she's doing so illegally."

"That sounds serious," I said, wondering how Francesca could've possibly missed such a big gap in her backstory.

"It is serious. There are fines associated with it, and a high risk to public health." She leaned over the table. "But I don't think she's practicing. She claims to own a nail salon, doesn't she?"

"Ye-es," I said, leaning away instinctively. "She does."

"What's it called?"

"It's—huh." I tapped my chin, pretending to think. "You know, I can't remember."

"And it's no wonder you can't. She's given at least five different names." Shirley picked up one of her papers and read, "Salon de Milo, The Oasis, Golden File, Nails 4 Daze, and Gel Polish Here, to be precise. The HOA has looked into each of these supposed businesses, and we haven't found a single one under her name. Why is she lying? We don't like liars here in Blessed."

Shirley's eyes bored into me. I swallowed and wished I'd paid more attention in eighth-grade drama class.

"So, um," I said. "What does all this have to do with me?"

"Well, you seem to be particularly close to her. Has she . . . confided in you at all? Perhaps let something slip that would reveal who she is?"

If you only knew, I thought. "No, not really. She's mostly been . . . taking care of me. Greg's death hit me really hard, being next door neighbors and all. And now Barbara."

"Yes, poor Barbara," Shirley said. "Carol is practically beside herself. In fact, she's looking for a replacement as we speak." Shirley's eyes flashed. "Well, now that you're aware of the situation, you'll let us know if Frances mentions anything suspicious, won't you? I'm sure she'll open up to you, if you put in the effort. The HOA would greatly appreciate your cooperation."

"Yes, yes of course," I said, itching to get Shirley out of my house. "If I hear anything, I'll tell you right away!"

"That's all we want." Shirley smiled. It was all bite. "Well." She stood and efficiently gathered her papers. "I better be going. Thank you for your time, Sheila. I'll be sure to visit you again soon."

"Stop by any time you like," I said, trying not to choke on the words. I walked her to the door and didn't breathe freely until she was out on the porch, with the deadbolt locked.

"Jesus Christ," I murmured, scrubbing at my face. Shirley may not look like much, but she was one of the more terrifying members of the HOA. The Association's bloodhound, if you will, sent out to hunt down anything the organization deemed threatening. And apparently, that now included Francesca.