Choose Your Own Romance: Intro

A/N: This is something that I hope will be an ongoing series of purely fun, fluffy, smutty, sometimes angsty escapism. The idea is that you read the intro and then choose which Avenger you'll be hooking up with. I don't really enjoy writing stories where I have to say (your name, hair color, eye color, etc.) because I prefer to develop a specific character. Think of it as a video game. You're choosing a particular character to play the game as and the game reflects that choice.

As the quinjet flies swiftly across the sky, you sit quietly in your seat and stare out the window. An uprising of nervousness threatens to overtake you, prompting you to focus on the clouds more intently than you usually would. As you sit in meditative silence and contemplate each and every cloud formation that passes the window, you can't help but find a measure of amusement in your behavior.

As a former S.H.I.E.L.D. agent, you've pretty much seen it all- or so you thought. You've rescued hostages from the clutches of gunmen, helped diffuse bombs, infiltrated enemy bases, resisted torture, and thwarted acts of terrorism that would have plunged the world into chaos if not for your quick wits and cool head. Your reputation speaks for itself, and despite your humble demeanor, you've always been quite proud of your accomplishments. It always made you feel good knowing that your skill set could be put to good use. Knowing that Fury- director of S.H.I.E.L.D.- trusted you with the most sensitive of assignments certainly did a lot to further those feelings.

Then the accident happened. Or, as you often call it, your origin story.

It was supposed to be a routine assignment. In retrospect, you decide that you should have known it wouldn't be routine. Anytime someone described a mission as being routine, something always went wrong.

And, boy, did it go wrong.

A team of extremists had managed to get their hands on some weaponry left behind from the Chitauri attack on New York- a type of bomb. Demanding the release of their incarcerated leader, the terrorists threatened to detonate the bomb in the middle of Grand Central Station. Undeterred by the danger of such a threat, you had singlehandedly managed to sneak your way directly into the bomb's location. While the rest of your team stormed the area and attacked the terrorists, you managed to remove the bomb from the area. Unable to detonate the weapon, the terrorists quickly lost whatever leverage they had. All that remained was you getting the bomb out of the field.

But then, as you moved carefully through the corridor, you heard a hissing sound coming from the Chitauri bomb in your hands. Fear engulfed you as you suddenly found yourself faced with the terrifying reality that you might die. Your mind immediately began to race as you tried to decide what to do with the bomb. If it detonated there was no telling how big the blast radius would be. As you braced for the end, the hissing sound grew louder. That was when you noticed a strange cloud of fumes leaking from the alien weapon. The cloud swallowed you up in its embrace. Heart pounding, you fought the urge to breathe. The inky, blue fumes clung to your skin and the sensation of being invaded consumed you. Against your will, you inhaled a deep gulp of the stuff and then consciousness receded, reducing you to a heap on the floor.

You were told much later that you went in and out of consciousness after being recovered and placed under the watchful eyes of S.H.I.E.L.D.'s scientists. When you finally regained consciousness three days later, you woke up in the infirmary, surrounded by monitoring equipment. In a panicked state, you tore the IV from your arm and began to rip the electrodes off of your chest, prompting the monitors to blare in protest.

No sooner had you stumbled out of the bed did a team of staff rush in to stop you.

"Please try to relax!" One of them urged while another drew medicine into a syringe and primed the needle.