Chapter Twenty-Four: The Sun Always Sets

After lying in each others arms for awhile, they got up and dressed then walked back to the inn.

The next few weeks were hard, but somehow easier for them. Sofia woke up early in the morning and tended the garden out back. When she arrived inside Anthony had cooked breakfast and they'd sit and eat together. Afterwards they'd choose an activity for the day and found they had a lot more in common than they thought. After the activity they would grab lunch or dinner depending on the time, then go on a walk. After the day was over they'd return to the inn and finish off the night.

Sofia woke up one Saturday morning and ran to the bathroom, Anthony was already awake and in the shower. She opened the door and threw up in the toilet. Anthony looked out from behind the shower curtain.

"Are you okay?"

Sofia nodded. "I've just been feeling nauseous I think I might be sick."

Sofia found she couldn't keep any food down at all, no matter what it was. She began to get light headed spells and when Anthony found her passed out in the shower he decided it was time to go to the doctor.

"So you've felt nauseous and light headed?" The doctor asked.

Sofia nodded.

The doctor began to laugh. "And you're training to be a nurse, but can't figure out what you have?"

"I don't think it's funny." Sofia said.

Anthony just glared at the doctor. "Enlighten us as to what she has."

"Well, from what I can tell," The doctor had an amused grin on his face. "She's pregnant."

Anthony paled, but Sofia laughed. "That's a good one doctor," She paused to catch her breath. "No, really, what do I have?"

The doctor took on a serious face. "I am completely serious, you're about a month along. Congratulations, I'll get the paperwork." The doctor exited down the hall.

Sofia's hands went down to her stomach. Then she looked at Anthony. "You don't have to commit to me over this." She said. "I don't want you to feel like we have to do anything extravagant over this."

Anthony turned to face her. "I want to commit to you, with or without this baby, our baby. I want to marry you Sofia, and I'm sorry I know this isn't the proposal every girl dreams of, but I can't think of a better time than right now to ask you. Will you marry me?"

Sofia's heart skipped a beat. "Is that really what you want?"

Anthony smiled and cupped her face with his hands. "Yes."

Sofia smiled. "My answer is yes. I want to marry you." She kissed him.

"I love you and I'll get you your ring." He said when they pulled apart.

Sofia laughed.

The doctor returned with the paperwork and handed them a number they were supposed to call to get a gynecologist.

They headed back towards the inn, but Anthony made a stop at the jewelry store first.

"Pick one." He smiled motioning to the selection of engagement rings.

Sofia laughed. "That ruins things. You have to pick it out."

Anthony kissed her. "Okay." He looked at them all. "That one." He pointed to a ring. The clerk got it out of the case and handed it to Anthony. He slipped it on Sofia's finger and laughed when it wouldn't go down all the way. "Can we get it resized here?"

"Of course." the clerk smiled. "May I?" Sofia held her hand out and the woman took down her size and the ring she wanted. "It will be ready in a week."

Sofia smiled. "Thank you."

She and Anthony walked hand in hand around the town. He took her to dinner and a movie, then they went back to the inn. There was a note on the door. Anthony picked it up and read it, he was smiling when he started, but when he finished reading it he looked worried and upset. Sofia took the note and read it.

Sofia,
You're so happy right now with the news of your pregnancy and engagement spreading fast, but I promise you, you will not live to see your wedding.

Sofia dropped the note and paled.

"Sofia, with everything that happened I never asked, what exactly happened that night you were outside?" Anthony asked.

Sofia sighed and sat down. After she recounted all of the attacks, Anthony was pacing the living room.

"How could you not tell me about this?" He demanded.

"I didn't think it was important." She said.

"How could you not think it was important!?"

"I don't know, I never thought it was serious, it never occurred to me to tell you. I'm sorry." She felt like crying.

Anthony sighed. "It's okay. I'm going to take care of it."

"How?" Sofia asked.

"Just know that I am."

Sofia didn't know what it was about his comment that made her feel safe and worried at the same time.

The next day Sofia ventured out, she hadn't talked to Sara, Sydney, or Brad since the funeral and wanted to tell the about what happened. She found Sara and Sydney at the coffee shop.

"Hey!" She called.

"Sofia! It's been forever, sit down." Sara said.

"How are you?" Sydney asked.

Sofia smiled. "I'm good, I wanted to talk to you about everything that's happened lately."

Sara smiled. "Ooo tell us."

Sofia smiled. "I found out I'm pregnant!"

"Omg!" Sydney squealed.

"Have you thought about names?" Sara asked.

Sofia smiled. "Yes, if it's a girl I'll name her Margaret and if it's a boy Thomas."

Sara smiled. "That's sweet."

Sydney nodded. "I like them."

"So, tell me, how are things with you two?"

Sydney smiled and launched into a long conversation about her and Brad's relationship. When she finally stopped talking Sofia turned to Sara.

"What about you?"

"Oh, nothing much." Sara said.

"Don't be coy." Sofia said.

Sara broke into a smile. "Fine, I met a guy, his name is Blake. I met him a few towns over and we've been dating for a few months now."

"You have?" Sydney asked. "Why didn't you say anything about it?"

"Well, you've been so caught up in your relationship with Brad I could never find the time to talk to you about it." Sara sipped her coffee.

Sofia smiled. "I'm glad you two are getting your lives started and you're happy."

Sofia spent all of her time the next few months with Anthony or with Sara and Sydney and everyone was happy. But she couldn't shake the feeling of dread that continually came upon her.