Chapter 12

Messiah

I walked drunkly into my apartment complex with Jack Daniels in my hand. I was drunk but not too drunk.

"Messiah Brown," I heard a voice behind me.

"That me, wassup," I held my hand out for a handshake knowing it was a cop. He didn't accept the handshake, he just stood there with a serious face.

"You're much less intimidating in person," he tried to size me up

"Are you gonna shoot me or what? I have a bed to get to?"

"Nah, just warning you. Watch your back son," he stepped closer to me.

"For what? You brought backup?" I looked around then walked to my door.

"Nah. I did bring my gun though. Maybe that idea wasn't so bad. Monsters like you need to be off the street," he smirked and fired a shot near my head. I stood there unfazed. It was definitely the intoxication because he would've had 2 in the head if I was sober.

"What's your point man?" I unlocked my door and walked in. He followed. I didn't care though. I don't have anything illegal in here.

"You think you're gonna get away with what you did?"

"What did I do?" I plopped down on the couch

"You left her out there to die!" He yelled, "now I have to raise my granddaughter cause she's fucking crazy in the head!" He snatched me up from the couch, "Ashlynn's a fucking psycho," he let me go back into the couch and started crying

"Look man, I didn't mean to. I forgot about her out there. The kid ok?" I spoke soberly. I honestly didn't mean to leave her out there. It was my mistake.

"She good. I am too now that I've got a confession," he smirked and sat on the edge of the couch.

"You ain't got shit," I fired two shots in his head and called the clean up crew to dispose of him, he tape, and his car.

-

Unknown

"Dammit the tape went out," I slammed my fists on the table angrily. We almost had his ass.

"Detective, this investigation has been going on for years and you still have nothing to show for it but a fucking baby and a promise ring. You've got 4 weeks and I'll go arrest them my damn self!" My boss yelled at me in fury. It's true I have been on this case for years and still have no real case against the notorious family. They're too good.

I rested my head on the cold desk in my office and thought of a plan. How will I get this past them all?

I have to think and quick before the two of them catch on. I shut down my computer and let out a big sigh. I'm going to visit my sister at the crazy hospital she's in and, then back to my 'home'. If I don't get them soon, they'll figure out who and what I am.

-

-

Mac

"Hello, hi daddy," Camilla held the phone too her ear while Alaya and I laid on the couch watching SpongeBob. Carter was on the floor playing with his toys.

"Yes, mommy is right here. She told me to tell you she didn't want to talk though,"

"But she said- ok," she walked over and handed me the phone. I hesitantly took it and walked into the kitchen to get a bottle of water. I know Messiah is furious with me. It's been almost 6 months and I have only been back to Georgia four times for the kids' birthdays and serious dealings I needed to be at. No one but my dad knows where I am and he promised to keep it a secret.