Part 11

"She's doing it again" Camilo said, watching his aunt from the nursery's window.

"Shhh, let Dolores hear what they are saying" Isabela scolded him

"The boy in the green scarf is flirting with Y/N" the brunette girl muttered "he's telling her how beautiful she is and how well he thinks they'd get along."

"Should I intervene?" her cousin asked

"Not yet"

"Hey, it's my turn to ward off the stalkers!" Camilo frowned.

"Not yet" Dolores said again "...but be ready. Both of you. I hear Y/N fidgeting and if tía Julieta keeps digging her nails into her palms like that, she's going to bleed soon."

Camilo and Isabela put aside their little argument immediately and returned to look carefully out the window. By now, it was no secret to anyone in the family that many people in town were trying to use you or Julieta as conduits to reach the family. It made sense, they were practically royalty in Encanto and at that time you two were the best options to try to sneak in (Julieta for being single again, which gave older men a chance and you because even though you didn't have the Madrigal last name, you were practically part of the family and the younger ones were after you), but everyone hated to see how disgusting and unashamed men flirted with the healer, even after she made it clear that she didn't want any new relationship.

Well, at least not with a man, as far as the three younglings knew. Mirabel and Luisa had already forgiven her, that's why the eldest of Julieta's daughters hadn't recruited them for this, not wanting to start another fight between them, but her cousins were another story. Ever since they lived in your house, Camilo had shared her opinion about how close you and her mother had become, and on several occasions, they had both joked about it (after the mourning for her father began to fade a bit, of course) and after getting their gifts back and seeing how the oldest triplet kept looking for you, they decided that if the town was going to pressure her into getting a new couple, they would at least make sure it was you. Julieta deserved someone that made her happy, and that only had your name.

Dolores wasn't difficult to recruit. In fact, it was she herself who approached them one afternoon when they were discussing their plans in Isabela's room and offered her help, saying that she could hear the slight tremors of nervousness in her aunt's voice whenever you were near. It was also good to have her on board because honestly, she was the only one with half a neuron on the team. Isabela and Camilo would have already locked you in a closet with Julieta.

Until now their plans had focused exclusively on reconnaissance. They had to know what they were working with and once it became obvious to them that you too were getting nervous around the older woman, the next step was to get rid of the unwanted competition. They were still stuck at that point.

"God, they're stubborn" Isabela muttered, watching as the man who was flirting with you again ignored your obvious attempts to push him away "It makes me want to grow a cactus in his-"

"Isabela!" Dolores scolded her and frowned.

"What?"

"It's not funny"

"Camilo find it funny" Isabela shrugged, watching her younger cousin laugh heartily at the idea.

"Everything is funny to Camilo" Dolores rolled her eyes

"And your point is?"

The girl was about to say something when she heard it. Oh no. No, that bastard did NOT make that mistake.

"Lola?" Isabela asked carefully when her cousin froze

"Are you okay?" Camilo added, putting a hand on his sister's shoulder "what did they say?"