008. grieving period

╭── ⋅ ⋅ ── ✩ ── ⋅ ⋅ ──╮
EIGHT!
grieving period
╰── ⋅ ⋅ ── ✩ ── ⋅ ⋅ ──╯

╭── ⋅ ⋅ ── ✩ ── ⋅ ⋅ ──╮EIGHT! grieving period ╰── ⋅ ⋅ ── ✩ ── ⋅ ⋅ ──╯

───────── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ─────────

Night time, defined as the time between evening and morning but to many people, it was designated as the worst time frame in the day.

Maybe because it was the only available time in the twenty four hour period where it was harder to distract the human consciousness.

The sun always receded in the late hours, causing the light to disappear and the world to be engulfed by total darkness. Maybe because the temperature always dropped in the nights, turning the warm weather into bitter coldness that nipped at your bones as you slept.

Or maybe, night time was the only time when the intrusive and violent thoughts were given their chance to escape from the depths of the mind and make themselves known to the soul that they inhabited.

It was the easiest time as there was nothing to push those thoughts back inside as there was no longer any barriers or mere distractions that could stop them from reaching the vulnerable human consciousness.

It was like a broken cycle of pure fear, despair, panic, doubt, grief and guilt that constantly plagued the mind. It was hard to throw a mechanism into the machine once it was turned on and began to run on its own. It would just continue to feaster until the harsh nightmare became nothing but a living reality. A dark, cold reality.

That's how Wendy Harrington would describe her life at the moment.

It was all a nightmare. It was just all a nightmare that she would eventually wake up from. That's what she kept telling herself. No, forcing herself into believing.

She so desperately wanted this whole situation to be some sort of sick joke that Will Byers had pulled on her. She so desperately wanted the boy to pop out of hiding with the biggest grin on his face, bursting into a fit of laughter at how stupid her face look.

She didn't dare sleep a wink. She spent half the night sobbing her eyes out and the other half, wide awake, just staring that the pale ceiling. She just couldn't sleep. Not when every time she closed her eyes, she was met with the image of the Byers boy's body, floating lifelessly among the grey water of the quarry.

She was also plagued with the vision of the shadowy monster that she encountered in the forest when her world had suddenly switched to a mere daydream. She couldn't escape the dark images that flashed her mind every time she tried to sleep, so she tried her best to avoid the activity all together.