XXXII

As far as Scott could tell, the puddle of blood had grown larger.

Maybe he should be alarmed by this, but a heavy sort of feeling was spreading across his limbs, making him feel drained. He has no idea if this was because of the blood loss or his own emotions, but either way it was there. Currently he had managed to move himself an entire three centimetres to stare at the floor instead of the ceiling, and with that came the pile of blood that dripped red, red, red further and further.

His chest felt weighted, like there was something sitting on top of it even though he was on his side. Every breath was a small struggle. The numbness in his back had travelled up to his head where his antlers had been-

No. Stop.

He focused on the puddle of blood instead. Leaking out from around the knife, which still looked exactly as Xornoth had made it. It made him feel ill, sickly, and he was double certain that he was going to vomit at some point.

There had to be something he could do, right? There was no way he could just sit by and let Exor kill Jimmy - his husband - whilst he slowly bled to death, unable to do anything but use his magic

Oh.

Right.

He could use his magic.

That was an awfully convenient and uneventful conclusion, and if this was a fanfiction he would call it lazy writing or the author being sleep deprived. Maybe both. But it wasn't a fanfiction (sadly) and he was ninety percent sure he was gonna die.

Surely Exor hadn't actually been stupid enough to leave Scott able to use his ice magic. Like surely not. This had to be a trick, something to draw attention to the area or whatnot.

The cold feeling bubbled underneath his fingertips despite his thoughts.

He frowned and tried to concentrate, but he couldn't quite focus and he could feel his control slipping. A faint shift in texture came appeared in the blood pile, and after a few seconds he realised he was freezing his blood.

Gross.

Footsteps pounded behind him, and Scott closed his eyes unconsciously. He didn't want to see Exor's real form anymore than he had to. One glimpse at the horrific being was enough, thank you very much.

Aeor help me, he thought almost automatically. As usual, the god gave no response.

Then something was yanking him up by the one wing he had left and the feeling of cold, cold, cold and slimy warmth and bitter, splintered skin that was jaggedly smooth was enough to make adrenaline seize him, and in a flash moment of panic he realised that his magic had slipped entirely loose and

CRACK

The sudden surge of magic made Scott pass out.

-

CRACK

The noise had been kind of loud, Xornoth had to say.

And when they said 'kind of loud', they meant very loud. It was one of the largest cracking noises they had ever heard, and it had made them bolt up in surprise and fall out of the bed.

Not the first time they had fallen out of the bed; it had happened twice before, once when they had woken up, didn't realise which side of the bed they were on and rolled the wrong way, and another when Joey had sneezed and scared the living shit out of them. But calling out of bed meant being brutally forced to reconnect with reality and realise that the temperature had lowered by about ten degrees, and there was ice on the walls.

Joey's face appeared above them a few moments later, blinking down at them from the other side of the bed. "Are you okay?"

"Just startled." They stammered. They realised their accent had thickened tenfold, and they immediately tried to slip back into a more understandable voice. "And suddenly cold."