1- Human Life 1897

Trigger warning! Domestic abuse!

1897

As I finish up my daily task of preparing breakfast for my husband and I, I cannot help but sweat as the heat from the stove fills the large kitchen, even with the window open I cannot stay cool. The many layers of my dress adding to my over heating. Finally once the breakfast is complete, I make sure I am presentable for my husband. We wed 3 months ago in the church, although against my will the party was beautiful, I felt like a princess in my beautiful white dress. The wedding arranged by our parents, as if it was a business transaction, I suppose it was to them. As they wouldn't allow me to wed someone of a lesser class than us, they would disown me.

So now I am stuck to live and practically be a servant to Albert Smith. He is not a kind man most of the time, after we wed he turned into a different man. Going from a kind enough man, to a dreadful one. He is out most nights, and does not come back until late in the morning. Most times he goes to his family's business after his sinful actions, and does not come home until the afternoon. I do not mind as I can focus more time in my novels and art, providing an escape from reality.

I carry both plates into the red dining room. Albert is sat at the head of the table in our red velvet upholstery chairs, he has a lit cigar between his lips as he reads the daily paper. As I set his plate on the table covered with a gold tablecloth, he does not acknowledge me. I suppress a sigh as I take my seat at the opposite head of the table and begin enjoying my English breakfast I've prepared while wishing it was one of the mornings he was elsewhere.

He sets the paper down along with his cigar before looking down at the breakfast in distaste before looking at me, "Alice, where is the tomato? We have been wed for only 3 months, you cannot be getting lazy already." He says while raising his tone. Lord please give me patience. I wipe the corner of my mouth with my napkin, "Of course not. I am sorry, our tomatoes were bad, I plan to go to the shop after breakfast." I say sweetly with a smile. He nods stiffly before looking down at his plate as we eat in silence.

After our meal is done I take the dining wear into the kitchen before walking up to Albert who looks at me confused, "I was hoping while I'm out I could stop at the book store." He nods once before opening the front door. He turns back at me, "Make sure to have supper on the table before I am home." He says in his aggravating voice. I truly hate that man, I wish I could escape him and my family.

After I cleaned the kitchen I went to the grocer and am now at my favorite place, the book store. I walk up to the owner and he smiles brightly at me, "Alice, what can I help you with today?" He questions as I hold up the front of my skirt while walking toward the friendly man. I smile cheerfully at him, "I've come to see of new releases as usual." He nods before walking up to a wooden shelf as I follow behind him. He pulls a book from the shelf, "We just got this in yesterday afternoon, it is a dark one." I take the yellow book and read the cover, Dracula by Bram Stoker is written in read. I look up at him, "This is perfect, have you yet read it?" He shakes his head, "No, my wife has and couldn't stomach it." Sounds perfect for me, I think as I pay for the book.

I walk down the streets of London with my new novel and bag of groceries in my hand. Walking on the side with the crowd as carriages with horses ahead move down the street. I breath in the fresh air, enjoying being out and about for the first time in a few days. Suddenly I feel a hand grab my forearm making me jump as I spin to look at who grabbed me. It is a very handsome man, beautiful blue eyes with black hair and fair skin. He is wearing a black top hat, along with a black suit, and a black morning coat. "Forgive me miss, I did not mean to scare you." He says in an accent that does not sound from here.