Chapter 9

this is such an ew chapter im sorry
i just wanted to get something out for you all so hopefully it's not too bad?
anyways, shout-out to Naomiisahutaosimp for helping me come up with a plot for this and the next chapter!!
this is also not proofread 😞

———————————————-

For the remainder of that night, Kazuha couldn't sleep. Something was off. Maybe it was the shadow he saw behind the tree as Y/N spoke to him about her shell.

But who could it have been?

~~~

"It's not you, right?" The girl asked again, wanting a confirmed response.

"It's not me." Kazuha looks at her straight in the eyes.

"Well, then I'm thinking it's Tomo." Y/N furrowed her eyebrows. "You must be the one writing the letters on his behalf. I mean, haikus? Come on, Kazuha."

Said prince's breath hitched. He was about to hit out another reply when he noticed something lurking in the trees' darkness behind Y/N.

It was a tall figure, perhaps a male. He looked awfully familiar but Kazuha just couldn't put a finger on who it might've been. The shadow had his bow and arrow out, and it looked to be aiming straight at the Kannazuka Prince's head.

'Y/N's in danger.' He thought. 'How do I quickly get her away without her worrying?'

"Forget it." Kazuha blurts out. "Forget I said anything. It's all against the rules anyways."

He saw her frown but also panicked when the shadow of the man disappeared.

"So it was just a joke?" Y/N wonders.

"Yes." Kazuha replies dryly, standing up to wipe down the sand from his pants. "Now let's go back."

'Let's go back before you get hurt.'

~~~

Should he tell Scaramouche? Or would that just cause more trouble?

Later in the morning, Kazuha sat at the dining table, and Scaramouche, who had woken up early, sat beside him writing on a bunch of papers. It was just the two of them. It was pretty early in the morning and everyone else would most likely still be sleeping.

"I'm surprised you're here alone." Kazuha starts the conversation. "Without Y/N, I mean."

"She's still sleeping. I'd hate to wake her up now after she slept awfully late." Scaramouche replied. "Thanks to you."

Kazuha gulped. Why was talking to Scaramouche such a nerve-wracking task? Yes, they may have been friends in the past but things had changed drastically since then.

"What were you two up to last night?" The bodyguard continued. "Did you guys-"

"Nothing!" The Kannazuka Prince interrupted. "I mean, nothing... It was just a little stroll along the path, you know?"

Scaramouche narrowed his eyes at Kazuha before returning his gaze to the paperwork in front of him. "If you say so."

"How did you know we were up late? You were waiting for us the entire time, weren't you?" Kazuha questioned, staring at the way the indigo-haired boy twirled the pen in his hand to imprint his signature at the bottom of the sheet.

"Someone may have tipped it off to me after you ditched him."

The prince sighed. "I swear, when I see Tomo later on..."