Chapter 12

Scaramouche knocked on Y/N's room door not long after the argument in the main hall had subsided. He slowly pulled the doorknob and pushed the door open, peeking his head through to check on the princess.

After seeing that she was still fast asleep, he sighed, thankful that she hadn't woken up to the unfortunate shouting.

He stepped into the room and closed the door behind him, before quietly walking towards Y/N's bed. He kneeled down beside her, gathering up the courage to speak.

Her back was facing him and he suddenly sighed.

"Thank the Archons you're safe." He says to himself. "I was worried Tartaglia would come for your after he failed to kill Kazuha."

Scaramouche then scoffed and rolled his eyes. "What the fuck am I even saying?"

He stayed there in silence, unbeknownst to the fact that Y/N was not in fact asleep.

"I just... I don't know, you've just been running around in my mind a lot lately." He admits. "It's quite literally driving me insane. All I think about these days is you."

"Every single day is just a loop; Has Y/N eaten yet? Did she get enough sleep? Is she feeling well? Has Y/N looked in the mirror today and reminded herself that she's beautiful? Is she hurt? Does she need my help? Has Y/N realised I've fallen for her yet?" Scaramouche rambled. "What can I say, I've totally fallen for you. No matter what my head keeps telling me, I know that something else - not quite a heart - is saying that I really, really like you."

"I don't know what I'll do when the Fatui carry out their plan. Once they get all the gnosises (gnoses? idk), I'll forget you. But I don't want to forget you. You're the best thing that's ever happened to me." The bodyguard continues. "Maybe you won't be as affected as I'll be. Maybe you'll marry Diluc or Kazuha or something and forget I even existed."

"You make me feel things I shouldn't. You make me feel the emotions of someone with a heart." He says. "I think...

I think I love you."

He then chuckled to himself. "Whatever. I know you probably like someone else anyways. I guess that's the only benefit in me losing my memories. I'll forget the heartbreak and-"

He suddenly felt the embrace of Y/N's warmth wrapped around his body. Her arms fell over her shoulders as she captured him into a hug.

"I think I love you too." Y/N admits, nestling her face into his neck.

And for the first time in years,

Scaramouche cried.

—————————————————

the next day...

"Learn to dance?"

"Yes! Since the all guys are out buying their suits or whatever, why don't we learn to dance! Well... practice dancing!" Ayaka suggested, striving over to the old record player in the back of the room.

That sunny morning, most of the girls gathered in the big empty hall of Diluc's mansion, sitting around wondering what to do.

"All the guys?" Scaramouche raised an eyebrow. "Now, now, don't be forgetting about my existence."

"Oh, well, Sir Scaramouche, why don't you join in then?" Kokomi says.

"Ohoho! Yeah, that's a hard pass." Scaramouche shook his head. "I don't dance."

"Come on!" Guizhong urged. "If you join in, we'll let you dance with Y/N!"

"Guizhong!" Y/N exclaimed.