What Happens When You're Too Curious

Cara

    I could feel the tension in the room the moment the two looked at each other.

They both received dirty, menacing looks from each other, but it didn't seem to intimidate a single one of them.

I should have known by the bruises on their cheeks that there was already something fishy going on between them, but they weren't the only ones who seemed to be in a bad mood. Surprisingly, Michael was too. Although, he seemed to be more worried than angry. And it was only Calum seemed to be so unaffected by the whole situation because he was telling me a bunch of corny jokes.

As I stood there trying to think what could have happened, the bell rang. I quickly left the room with my bag slung lazily against my shoulder.

I spotted Luke from a distance, wandering around and about. He seemed to be lost in his own thoughts as he stared blankly in to the field.

But something was telling me that he was troubled, so I actually felt bad for him.

Then curiosity got the inquisitive side of me. As much as I wanted to know what was bothering him, I had to find out discreetly.

"Hey Luke," I approached him and he remained impassive. I brought out my pencil and a notebook and said, "I've been thinking about what the teacher said a while ago. Maybe we should start writing the song."

"Oh...sure," He nodded nochalantly.

"Should it be a ballad or something punk rock." I nudged him after, knowing that he had a thing for being punk.

A small smile crept on his lips, but he soon went back to his emotionless state.

"A slow song," he replied blankly.

I was shocked, but complied.

"Alright then. So what do you want it to be about?" I tapped my pencil against the hard surface of my book.

He shrugged. "Anything."

I placed my notebook down and sighed. "Are you feeling okay? I'm guessing you don't want to write right now."

"No, I do," he looked at me uncertainly.

"Is there something bothering you?" I asked him in concern and curiosity.

"No, just thinking," he mumbled.

"About?"

He didn't reply, and instead he looked at me in the eye and I could see the disturbed look shown on his own pale blue ones. I let my guard down and examined the small bruises that were forming on his face.

"Do you want to talk about it?" I asked him quietly.

He shook his head.

"Let's just go back to writing then," I told him, focusing back on the notebook. "But if you don't want to do that, we can always decide on what song you're going to sing instead," I said in a chirpy voice.

"I don't know what to sing." he muttered bluntly.

"Let me think of one," I told him while looking at my notebook as if the answer would pop out.

He cleared his throat.

"Cara?"

"Yeah?" I looked back at him.

"Never mind," he blurted out after, "Do you have a song in mind for me?"

"No," I told him sadly, "But I know it's definitely not going go be 'Gives You Hell' by All American Rejects. Remember when you tried it the last time?" I chuckled.

"Yeah," he smiled. "I remember.

"And remember that one school fair when you sang 'Baby' by Justin Bieber? You even had your hair styled like him," I giggled after.

"In all fairness, I was pretty good," he rolled his eyes. "And at least I didn't dance to some One Direction song in one school fair."

"Oh don't remind me," I pouted in dismay. "I was forced to do that, okay? That was so humiliating."

"And I remember when you had pink streaks on your hair in grade five," he said, biting his lip ring, to prevent him from laughing.

"It's better than that dodgy fringe you had," I snorted in return.

And that was enough to make the both of us laugh. Remembering those things made me feel lightheaded and sort of happier. It made me feel releived that we weren't bickering like before.

"Let's get back to thinking of a song for you, okay?" I bemused.

"Yeah, sure," he shrugged. His pink cheeks now showing.

As I grabbed my pen, a sudden thought popped up in my mind which made me smile.

"You better be thinking of a song and not the time when I had that fringe," he muttered.

"Hey, but your fringe was better than Ash--Calum's," I quickly changed the name so I wouldn't have to remind him of Ashton. I knew something was happening with the two and and I didn't want to get wedge my way through things.

His facial expression changed. The soft, gentle look he once had was now a harsh one. But what worried me now was the fact that he looked so angry at me too. It's like I triggered something in his memory that was not exactly pleasing.

"Ashton?" he glowered. "You've been thinking about him lately, huh?"

I furrowed my brows. "No..not really. I was just wondering."

"Wondering about what? How he got that bruise on his cheek?"

"Don't tell me you punched him," I frowned.

He smiled bitterly. "I'm not surprised that you know."

"I didn't, actually," I told him softly. I moved away in shock. "But why would you do that? You have no reason to hate him."

"You're right." he smiled. "I don't have any reason to hate him. But he has every reason to hate me, just like you."

"But I don't understand-

"You're always so curious to know everything, Cara." he shook his head. "Try not to be next time or else things will get ugly."

-

-God Bless!-