Luke's Interest

"Are you quite finished yet?" I said, tapping my fingers on the table furiously.

"I was finished even before you asked me that." He had to prolong my suffering, didn't he? "Anyway, duty calls. See you later." He stood up afterwards, forgetting about the most important thing he came for more than just simple plans for a song.

"But what about the favor?"

He chuckled softly to himself. "I thought about it some more and I decided to save it for a rainy day."

"You've got to be kidding."

"Does this face look like it's kidding?" He pointed to himself. He was certainly not the joking type. If it was anything else, this conversation was becoming so, in its entirety.

"Yes," I stated.

"Well," Seeing how I wouldn't let him end right there, he gave more thought into it and said, "There is something you could do for me."

"What then?"

"You could give me some money to buy dinner in an expensive restaurant." he grinned.

"I thought you could afford to buy food," I gasped. "Wait...are you poor?" Apparently a lot could change after so many years. I didn't talk to Luke often, and now that I did, he was pennyless, banking on me to pay for him to enjoy a luxurious eatery. It was a sad thing. "It's completely ok. I have three grapes left-

"I can afford. Sheesh, Cara." He unzipped his lunchbox oozing out with all sorts of treats. More than I ever had for school lunch. I was tempted to ask if I could have gum but I'm sure it was poison to kill me off. "I just have the oppurtunity to get something for free, so I'm grabbing it."

"Great," I sneered I'll buy you the cheapest thing there."

"Ah, but you see, I don't want the cheapest thing there."

Guy's greedy too, figures.

"Oh come on! Why would you even want me to get you something there? It's not like you're going to bring anyone with you...or are you?" I tried to use everything in me to see if he was confirming this by the way he moved.

"You ask too many questions," was his reply.

"Valid questions. I want to know where my money's going. For all I know, you're going to buy drugs for you and Calum to share."

Luke laughed shortly and said, "None of that sort. But you know, you should feel thankful I'm asking for this and not for you to do something as stupid as...as...I don't know! Forcing you to go out with one of my mates?"

Neither of us responded right away when he had expressed his incredulity and such strong feeling in the last two sentences. Luke seemed as though to be rattled and more thoughtful than he ever turned out to be, yet I payed no attention and sipped my water because it was none of my business.

"Hmm depends which one of the two," I briefly remarked, which made me the center of his attention. "And I might consider."

He sat back down like he couldn't accept a word I said. "You're kidding."

"Does this face look like its kidding?"

I'm sure any would've done a better job.

-

I did say my brother was annoying, but if there were someone a hundred times worse, it would be Luke's sidekick, who tapped my shoulder after every sentence.

"Did you hear?" I was about to. My arm was getting sore and so was my mood. "Apparently Luke's got a liking for this girl."

Because Calum had delivered this quality news to me, I was taken away from all the frustration that I laughed at this comic relief. "Poor girl. Wait, he told you?"