Getting Addicted to the Battle

Cara

    I felt myself sweating...like crazy.

It's understandable that performing can be nerve-racking. But even if I wasn't singing yet, I still felt like throwing up. Just watching the other band go onstage made me feel terrible.

"Hi," the girl in the middle greeted. I wasn't afraid to show my disgust, looking at the girl who didn't allow me to join her group and some old acquaintances, Stacy Burlings and Meghan Copenhagen, who latched on to their leader. "We're Friday Funk. I could've sworn I heard someone from the back laugh at this, but was silenced by his companion who also seemed to be laughing too. "Our first song is Pretty Girls," she continued. "Here it goes! Sing it with us if you know the lyrics!"

The audience clapped more, loving the charisma our classmate had onstage. I had to admit, she did have a lot of x factor.

The five girls in front began to dance to the song. I had to keep reminding myself right after that I was watching a singing competition and not a dancing one. But when they sang, I could only focus on their complicated dance steps. The judges seemed fairly pleased as well even if I crossed my fingers, hoping for the opposite.

Michael wasn't nervous--at least he didn't seem like it or bother to show it. But if he were really nervous inside, I'd have to commend him for being able to keep it all in. I finally turned around and saw Luke from the back...and it was pretty awkward since our eyes met. I quickly turned away while he, I assume, did the same.

But I immediatedly regretted my decision and pondered on it a bit more. I didn't want to ignore Luke anymore. We were hitting it off until he decided to leave me one day and suddenly despise me the next. And now, or a few days ago, he tells me he had a special liking for me before. Funny how there was a mutual feeling once--but with only one feeling lasting longer than the other.

He gave up so quickly the moment he thought I had a thing for Ashton.

"Cara," I felt Michael tap me. His voice was shaky but I could somehow tell the he was going to get an adrenaline rush sooner or later, like he always did. "We might want to go onstage now."

I didn't expect the performance to encompass  right away. Better yet, I wasn't aware that I was thinking to myself for so long.

I felt knots in my stomach as I followed my brother going up, while I watched the other three bandmates enter through different places. Nobody went near the mic and I was hoping I wouldn't have to improvise on an introduction.

Luckily, Calum came to the rescue. "Hey, how's everyone doing now?" he smiled shyly while the crowd cheered as well. Calum turned to Luke who just shrugged and insisted that he continue. "We'll be playing three songs for all of you. But first, let's give it up for our drummer, Ashton Irwin!" And Ashton stood up clumsily even if it was evident that he was caught off gaurd. He smiled proudly at the mention of his name and sat down behind his drumset once more. "Our guitarist, Michael Clifford..." and so Calum went on, introducing all of us, which was unecessary. But on the bright side, I had time to calm myself down a bit. "And we're Five Seconds of Summer!" he smiled sheepishly, hearing our band name.

No one clapped, and I felt myself turning red with humiliation. I told myself to think of it like it was because of their eagerness to hear our band that they were unable to produce any sound.

I left almost hurriedly to get down from the stage so I could just watch Luke sing his song before I did. And I waited patiently for him to start.

"Hey. You guys seem kinda tired now. Probably because of the heat, don't you think?" Luke smirked. It was like smirking were his trademark or something. "We hope we'll be able to keep you guys hooked or addicted (he emphasized this, making Calum laugh and the other groan) to this song after. So how about we pump things up to get you guys going?"

Calum nodded in approval for Luke's intro sent girls swooning all over the place.

"This song's by Simple Plan and it's called...'Addicted'."

I was so surprised by his song choice that I didn't even bother to acknowledge the terrible pun he had just made.
Michael had always insisted that I listen to it but I thought it was a heavy metal group, considering I was so used to hearing my brother play that kind of music as well as punk.

A catchy guitar riff opened for the song, followed by the drums, and the song began.

"I heard you're doing okay but  I want you to know," Luke looked at me seriously. "I'm a dick-"

The crowd laughed, but I stood there, stunned (along with all the teachers who gasped at this) that he had just admitted to calling himself something bleep worthy. Did I hear it correctly or did I misinterpret what he said?

"-I'm addicted to you," he said after, grinning slightly while his eyes were still on me. I sighed in relief, learning that it was just part of the word 'addicted'.

"I can't pretend I don't care when you don't think about me. But I think I deserve this. You tried to make me happy but I left anyway."

The audience began to murmur to each other now and I wondered why.

"He's got the lyrics mixed up. It's 'Do you think I deserve this? I tried to make you happy but you left anyway," said one of the girls in a haughty tone. I recognized her as one of the members of the other band.

But Luke went on. "I'm trying to forget that I'm addicted to you. But I want it, and I need it. I'm addicted to you. Now it's over. Can't forget what you said. And I never want to do this again, heart breaker."

He continued to sing another verse and chorus as a listened ferverently, then it became quiet.

"How long will I be waiting?" He looked disheartened. "Until the end of time. Don't know why I'm still waiting. Can't make you mine."

I tried my best to avoid his stare, but it was useless. I tried to look down but my neck began to hurt, so I looked from side to side occassionally.

And before I knew it, the song ended. The crowd went wild and I clapped at his performance.

But then it was my turn now, so I shakily forced myself to go onstage.

I watched as Luke got down from our school's makeshift version of a stage slowly. I could have continued doing that but I started to get the feeling that the rest of my band members were waiting for me to continue.

Finally, I gathered the courage to walk towards the mic and say, "Hey, does anyone like Paramore here?" I said, in an effort to make myself sound like I knew what I was doing. Despite all my efforts, my voice came out as a squeak. The crowd responded with interest since I mentioned the well known band. Although their response was hardly audible, I went on. "Great, because the next song we'll be playing is a song by them called "Still into you."

I cautiously held my guitar in place and looked at Michael for my cue. After a deep breath, I continued.

-GOD BLESS!-