Chapter one: Meet the Boss

Shit, Shit, Shit! I was late for work. I had been up all night bartending last night. I couldn’t afford to be late today. I take a deep breath and look at myself in the mirror as I crack a nice warm smile with my coral pink lips. My brown hair is pulled back into a neat bun at the back of my neck, my eyes lined with soft black eyeliner, bringing out the green in my eyes. “Hello Sir, I am … I am Kayla Wilde. I would be honoured to work at your office.” The smile dims a little as the butterflies wake up in my stomach.

Would I even get this job? Who was I kidding? I was a bartender, dancer, and waitress. But it never hurts to try. I slam the door closed behind me and sprint to the bus stop just as the bus pulls up. I hadn’t missed it. Smiling to myself as I place the ticket in the dispenser, I settle myself into a seat and take a sip of the warm coffee I had in my hand.

I toss my coffee cup into a recycling bin before popping two mints in my mouth. Turning I gently push open the door to find myself in the quiet office. I settle into a seat waiting for the receptionist to come off the phone. The blonde receptionist looks at me from the desk as she places the phone back on the cradle. I smile at her and hold out my hand.

“Hello, I am Kayla Wilde, I’m-“

“-here for the new job.” She finishes with a smile upon her pale pink lips. “I’m Victoria. Come right this way, Mr. Evans has told me to bring you right in.”

Standing she glides around the counter and motions me to follow her. I comply, butterflies creating boulders in my stomach. I was so nervous. My hands become cold and I take a deep breath as the door is opened by Victoria. Thanking Victoria I step into the room.

My heart pounds in my chest as the chair turns and I’m looking at none other than –

“Hello Ms. Wilde. It’s very nice to see you again.”

 – Adrian Evans.

Karma really hated my guts.