Chapter Two: The First Task

I looked at him for a minute longer, my mouth open in shock. But I couldn’t deny he had changed. He had grown to be much taller than my 5’8 frame. His pale green eyes looked like he had just heard the funniest joke in his life, his nose angular and perfect. He had buffed up and filled out in all the right ways to make any woman want him. And his soft unruly jet black hair was combed back. His eyes took me in, moving from my shoes to the top of my head, lingering a little longer than necessary on my breasts. I suddenly jerked as he asked me, “well?”

Realizing he wanted an answer, I recalled what had just come out of his lips moments before.

“Y-you too sir.” I felt ready to shake. Of all the jobs I could have gotten...but I needed this job. I take a deep breath and decide to go ahead with this. “My name is Kayla Wilde, I’m here for the job offer.”

“So you are.” His lips quirk to the side in a smirk, making my heart to jump in my chest. He walks around the desk to stand in front of me. His eyes travel my body again, and I suddenly feel like I haven’t got enough on, despite the knee-length skirt and dress shirt under a blazer. Perhaps sensing my discomfort, Adrian grins. I think my heart almost stopped. “You’ve got the job, Ms.Wilde.”

I take a moment to make sure I heard the words clearly. My eyes widen in shock, as he chuckles and moves to go past me.

“Thank you, Adri - Mr.Evans.”

“It’s ‘Sir’ to you. I’m still your boss. Don’t forget that. That desk by the window is yours. You’ll begin today by getting me a coffee while I go to the bathroom, take the money from the jar in my drawer,” my hands fist together as I grit my teeth, “Then sort through the papers in the white bin the way the others are. Can you do that Ms.Wilde?”

You need the money Kayla, just agree to it, it could be worse.

Pushing down my pride, I reply, “Yes …Sir.” My mouth feels funny.

Adrian grins at me before leaving. Taking a deep breath I open his drawer and pull a ten out of his money jar. I had a job.

Seven minutes later I was back in the office, and placing the cup on his desk, I move over to the box of papers. Grabbing the handles of the white cardboard box, I slide it off the ledge and gasp as the weight of it yanks my arms down. Hands catch the box before it hits the floor and the papers go everywhere. It was heavier than I expected it to be. I look up into the humorous eyes of Adrian and suddenly my heart picks up speed at his proximity.

“Wouldn’t want this falling on the floor now would we?” he murmurs, staring intently into my eyes.

I stumble back a step and he grins impishly at me as he walks past me and puts the box on my desk. Patting the stack of papers inside, he grabs his coffee and looks over at me.

“Well, get started Ms.Wilde. Those papers aren’t going to sort themselves you know.”

I walk over to my desk and settle myself into the chair. I had a long day ahead of me.