Chapter Four: The Unfortunate Meeting

I stare at the outfit in my hand. Its light and it looked barely big enough to be a dress.

“Are you sure it’s not a shirt?” I ask my friend Christie with a raised brow. She rolls her eyes and pushes me into my room.

“When I’m done with you, you’ll be a model!” her eyes take on an evil glint as she spins me around, “unless of course, you’d rather be a dancer on that pole.”

I groan under my breath before squeezing my eyes shut as I’m slid into a short dress. The material is soft and silky against my skin, and comes right above the mid-thigh mark. Opening one eye carefully I look into the mirror and I have to open both eyes wide to recognize myself.

My hand glides over the black material with bits of golden yellows and oranges. Both meanings of the word ‘hot’ could be applied at this point. My arms and exposed shoulders and back are covered in gentle but totally badass netting. I looked like I was on fire.

I don’t have too long a chance to look at myself before a chair on wheels is slammed painfully into the back of my knees and I’m being wheeled to a mirror. My eyes travel down my legs and I frown. The skin is covered in scars and I feel too exposed.

“Here.” A bottle of foundation is thrown in my lap. “Cover them up. You’re not gonna hide tonight.”

I look up into the round dimpled face of the ginger haired, blue eyed girl who barely reached my shoulder standing. Her figure had curves to die for, and fit toned legs all wearing this short little baby blue dress with white accents. Despite calling her my friend, even best friend, I hadn’t told her how I got my scars, other than an accident. Pushing past the memories which invade my mind I smile up at her.

“Thank you.” I whisper.

Within twenty minutes she’s done up my hair and I look like an angel from hell. My legs are smooth for the first time and I feel like a whole new person. The breeze in the air touches my legs unhindered and I already feel like this is going to be an amazing night.

My smile falters as we near the door to the club. People are making out in plain sight, their moans of budding pleasure filling the air. I hurry past them into the club. Christie and her boyfriend, Tyler come in behind me, dragging me over to the bar.

“Have a drink. Come on!”

I allow myself to get pulled into the trap. Just this once. As I take a sip of the drink, my eyes scan the club.

“So what is this I hear about your new boss,” her voice dips into a hiss-like whisper, “being sexy enough to make panties drop?”

I glare at her mildly.

“It’s Adrian.” I whisper, unable to swallow a lump in my throat. Her naughty expression quickly becomes horrified, then full of sorrow.

“I’m so sorry…”

“It’s fine, Chris. It’s been ages since I last saw him. I’m sure he’s with the secretary or something now.” my voice isn’t strong or steady, but Christie barely notices as Tyler is pulling her off the stool.

I watch as a helpless Christie waves as Tyler drags her onto the floor. Sighing, I place my drink back on the counter. This place wasn’t for me. I touch my legs. It happened over 5 years ago but it still haunts me today. Nowhere I go can I be safe.  

My eyes drift over to a well-dressed guy on a seat by the floor, his posture straight, and his hair slightly ruffled. He has a drink in his hand and his head is thrown back in laughter. I look with shocked eyes as his face comes to view and a very eager Shelia bends above him with a neckline lower than decent.

She turns towards me and I freeze. They both have their eyes on me. I suddenly feel my heart pick up pace and turn back around to the bartender. Picking up my drink from before I throw my head back and drink it in one gulp. I had to leave. Now.

My eyes frantically scan the floor for Christie or Tyler, but I can’t see them. Someone’s hand suddenly brushes my back and I try not to flinch. There’s a very familiar chuckle and I turn into the pale green depths of a very handsome, but very drunk Adrian Evans.

His smirk grows as he pulls me off the bar stool and makes me stand before him. My heels give me extra height but not enough to be taller than him. His eyes travel down my body in what would almost be a leer. Leaning against the bar counter, he signals for another drink before turning to me with a half-smile. The kind which let me know he knew I was caught, and he was going to enjoy it.

“Well. Looks like Ms.Wilde has a wild side to her.”

I can’t help but wince at his tone.

Shit Kayla what have I gotten myself into?