22

"They are so amazing! I love Jenlisa, they represent something this world is missing! Love, power, and optimism. They ran for love and paved a path to service everyone!" —A Girl on the bridge holding a sign.

..

..JENNIE..

Hours pass, and I'm still sitting in the bush. I stay there for what seems like forever. The sound of dogs in the distance keep me awake as the sun sets, but I never see anyone. My abdominal clenches, informing me I need to pee, but I don't dare climb out of my bush at the risk of being spotted. I try to hold it, because I know those dogs will smell it as soon as I go.

Closing my eyes, I think of Lisa, hoping she's hiding in a bush somewhere too, that she's alive.

The sound of dogs barking gone in the distance. I bring my foot up to inspect it, but it's too dark to really see. It's hurt badly though. Something ruffles in a nearby bush and I freeze. It's big, growling, and I begin to tremble. Is it a bear?

It growls, scratching at the ground, and I'm so scared I pee. It just pours out of me, soaking my shorts.

Shit.

The animal lifts it's head as if it hears something, turns and runs. Pulling my knees back up to my chest, I rest my head on my legs and cry myself to sleep.

..

..

The sun rises the next day, and I wake up freezing. I'm wet from my own piss, and I'm so hungry my stomach sounds like that animal from last night. Climbing out of the bush, my foot smarts, reminding me of it being hurt. Lifting it up there's a large thorn right in the middle. The skin is discolored, and it's hard to walk.

Using my nails, I try and pull at the dark thorn stuck inside my foot, and the pain vibrates to the bone.

Biting my lip, I try and stifle my cries, and decide not to pull it out for now. Glancing around, all I see is trees, I have no idea where I am.

"Lisa?" I call out, but not loud as I don't want anyone too far away to hear me. I get nothing back but silence. Sniffling, I run my hand under my nose. I wonder where Kuma went?

Stumbling, I continue up the mountain. Reaching for limbs and trees to guide me upwards. It seems to continue on forever, no peak in sight.

I got me and Lisa in this. How did I not think we wouldn't get caught?

Hours pass and sweat begins to trickle down my back as it gets hotter throughout the day. I haven't seen any water, and I'm so hungry I can't keep going much longer. I'm dehydrated, hurt, and just to the point of giving up.

Falling to my knees, I lay on the ground. Tears slipping from my eye sockets as I think about Lisa, how my heart aches and longs for her. Maybe we will both die out here.

Two large green boots thud into my view on the ground, but I don't look up. I don't have the strength. If it's a cop, just fucking take me already.

Suddenly I'm picked up, the smell of pine strong.

"Stay with me," a man's voice whispers as he picks me up. He's not a cop. Lifting my head, I see a white beard and glasses. A camouflaged jacket.

"Who are you?" I croak.

"Name's Cricket, and don't you worry, I got you," he informs, his mustache dancing as he talks. I don't know if I should trust him, but it's not like I can fight him off right now.

I'm at his mercy.

I'm hauled up some wooden steps, and into a house. He lays me down on a gray plush couch and runs off into another room.