Prologue

Legend has it that there's an intangible red string that binds two souls destined to be together.

No matter the time, place, or circumstance, nothing can break the invisible thread between those two people who are meant to be together.

That's what it was like between her and I—an instant connection, like we'd always been together.

..

..

She and I, both from traumatized families, found comfort in one another. The girl with the letterman jacket and charismatic smile. And me, her bohemian princess. The invisible string pulling us to one another despite the danger our love created.

The town whispered about us.

Our parents threatened us to stay away from one another.

They tried to cut the string and keep us apart.

We simply tied it in chaotic knots, with no hope for ever separating them.

..

..

Will our unbreakable bond uphold the chaos fate brought us, or will our love bleed into a pool of crimson?

..

..

.. JENNIE ..

Sitting in the cushioned chair on the patio, I swing my legs back and forth while I drink my juice box. My grandma sits in her wheelchair right across from me. Her dark hair mostly turned gray and falling down her shoulders, she wears a loose dress along with lots of necklaces and bracelets. She's always so colorful. She's my best friend. She lives with us, and I spend a lot of my time with her.

"How come you're not playing with your guests?" Grandma asks, her hand gripping her cane.

My brows furrow thinking about the people my parents invited over. My mother encouraged me to play with their daughter Nayeon and ask her questions about her parents. Are they moving? What does her dad do for a job? Basically anything my parents can use to learn about her parents. My mom and dad are probably trying to buy something her parents are after too.

I'd try to be Nayeon's friend, but she's really mean. Doesn't matter if she was nice though, I will soon move and have a new school and a new child my age to ask twenty questions.

Tonight though, I don't want to play this game with my parents. So, I'm hiding out here with Grandma. We do everything together. She taught me yoga, a rain dance, how to draw my feelings, and pretty much everything I know. She would know better than anyone when I'm upset.

"I just don't want to," I answer. Pulling my leg up, I rub at the scar around my ankle Nayeon called ugly. She also said my outfit was ugly. I pull at the denim jacket hugging my brown polka dotted dress. Grandma bought it for me. I love it.

"Oh man, what an ugly scar, it looks like someone tied a dog leash around your foot!" she laughed.

I crossed my legs to try and keep it hidden. "Oh you can't hide that, I hope you don't want to be a model or anything, because that," she points at my ankle, "will never get you in the door." She flips her hair, her chin high in the air. "My mother says I'm one of a kind, I don't have any flaws."

"You don't like it?" Grandma interrupts my flashback, and my head snaps up. I sigh, running the pad of my finger over the scar.

"It's ugly," I whisper. Mom said it's from the plastic bracelet they put on you when you're born in the hospital. They had mine way too tight and it cut into my soft baby skin, leaving a scar behind. Dad says I was born with it. I don't know what to believe.