17 || skull of the beast

For the first time since I can remember, the sun feels warm coming up over the horizon. Something promising, a positive start that strives to edge me into a state of comfort. Relaxation. I've grown accustomed to "waking up" on the roof of Eret's house — of course, I can never actually sleep, but lying on my side with my eyes closed or nearly closed comes somewhat close to that sort of feeling. It is rest of some kind, that's for sure. My injury heals overnight.

Noir peaks over the edge of the roof moments after I finish stretching. Dressed in a pristine white lab coat and glasses much like Eret's, he somersaults right up to me with a leather bag hanging from his shoulder. I consider it nothing short of a miracle he doesn't scuff up his coat or lose the glasses in the process. Just another tally mark to add to the Noir may actually be a real wizard column.

"Scientist today, huh?"

"I have a coat for you, too." He immediately opens the bag flap and pulls out precisely that — a coat identical to his own. "It's a large, so it should fit over your pullover just fine."

"Uh-huh..."

For a reason even I'm not sure, I accept his strange offering and slip my arms into the gaping sleeves, finding the whole thing to be a strangely comfortable fit. Even with my scarf on it isn't too bulky adding an extra layer. As I adjust the collar to my liking, my eyes wander over to the attic window across the roof. I can only catch a glimpse of blankets piled in a heap at the edge of Eret's bed. He might be awake already.

I head over to the window and peer inside. Sure enough, his bed is empty and the door has been left open. Muffled sounds of voices slip through the crack in the window.

"It's a school day," says Noir from behind me, but he soon steps through the window into Eret's room. "He's probably helping the younger ones get ready."

"Oh, yeah."

Oddly enough, it is somewhat reassuring to hear. At the very least I can have peace in knowing none of the Young family's kids have been affected by the bizarre "phantom sickness," on account of the beasts only showing up at high schools thus far. And Eret is the only high schooler in his family.

I step into his room as well and take a brief look around. An acoustic guitar sits propped up against the closet door. A guitar?

As I begin to crouch down to get a closer look, the sound of footsteps rapidly ascending the stairs brings me right back up on my feet again. Eret bursts into the room. As expected, it looks like he's been up for some time already, fully dressed in his casual, everyday clothes, hair pulled back into a small ponytail. He wipes the lens of his glasses with his shirt before flashing us a smile.

"Mornin', fellas."

Noir offers a subtle bow. "Good morning, Eret. You look cheerful today."

"Course!" He replies, swiping his phone out of his pocket and snatching it mid-air. "New day, new me, right? Seize the opportunity, or whatever. I've decided I'm gonna face this head-on for Ruben's sake."

"Oh?" I quirk an eyebrow at the mention of that name. "That Ruben guy again. He must be pretty special, huh? You've only brought him up a dozen times."

"Well, yeah, sure. He's like my best friend." With a smile tugging harder at his lips, Eret collapses onto his bed, taking in both Noir's and my expressions so as to convey his earnest feelings. "We had a nice talk yesterday. Told him all about you guys, actually. I figured, if there were anyone out there, Ruben would definitely be the one to believe me that I could see ghosts. And now he really wants to meet you."

"Well, that can wait till he gets better," says Noir, pulling his hands closer to pick at his nails. "More importantly, have you heard anything about Mr. Dupont?"