21 || we fell into the lair

I watch, gritting my teeth, as Skull takes a giant leap off the top of the staircase leading down to the spirit lounge. The door is closed, the surrounding area completely empty. No Echo. No Avis or Atlas. No gatekeeper at all, as was the case the last time I visited here. But surely the door must be locked, I think. If the place is so "hush-hush" then there must be at least some level of security in place of an unguarded entrance.

Even if there were, it soon proves to be of no use. Skull phases through the wall.

Unable to slow myself down in time, my shoulder collides with the door and I immediately start tugging at the silver handle — furious and aggressive to no avail. It is locked. No doubt by spirit magic or the like, just as Harlow had used at the warehouse. But then how did he-??

"Echo, open up!!"

I slam my fist against the door and feel it rattle from the impact. I'm afraid no amount of shaking the knob would get me any closer to unlocking it, and yet, clenching my fist aglow in red, I hesitate at blasting it with force. But I don't know what else to do, seeing as I can't also phase through it for some reason.

Noir skids to a stop behind me.

"Will-"

"Don't try to change my mind now, buddy," I cut him off without thinking and give one more powerful knock to the door's center. "Hey, open up!! I need to—!"

My wish is granted. At the faint sound of the lock clicking, I halt myself mid-sentence and lower my arm as the door opens to a familiar face — not who I was expecting, however.

"Oh, Will! How's it going?"

It's Avis. And just Avis for once. I don't see her other half standing beside her, nor their beloved Echo, whatever their relationship may be. It's somewhat of an odd sight. She looks out of place, but nevertheless with her duel pink hair buns and mime attire, she's clearly the same young girl I spoke to just days ago.

"Avis, we need to go into the lounge," Noir says ahead of me, much to my surprise.

"Yeah, now."

"Oh?" Avis's smile shrinks for a second. "Why do you guys look so scary? Is something the matter?"

She's a small person, and not really blocking our path to begin with, so as smoothly as I can I slide past Avis and step into the lounge with Noir following in my shadow. I hear Avis close the door behind us.

This place is the same as ever — and by ever, and I mean on those two occasions in which I visited, both which ended with me storming out of the lounge after a frustrating game of chess with Leon. Unconsciously my eyes find their way to that table. He isn't there. I look to the bar counter to my right, but no Echo, either. I do spot Atlas, however, getting spun around in circles on a bar stool by some spirit I've never seen before, nor can be concerned with right now.

I scour the lounge from where I stand. Darting to and from every soul in sight, each carefree spirit lingering by the tables and on the floor, loud, energetic music blaring from the instruments of a band on stage and encouraging everyone to raise their glasses and hands to the air. Not a one of them appear concerned as to the presence of a skull-wearing spirit having entered their mix — perhaps he had taken off his disguise already. And now he blends in with a crowd who quite possibly have never seen his real face, and therefore wouldn't know any better.

What damage could he do in a place like this...?

Leon would be furious if he found out I led him here.

"Avis, where is Leon?"

"Leo?" Avis tilts her head curiously but I only offer her a glance. I'm scared to look away from the crowds for too long. "He's out right now," she says. "With Echo, actually. They're on a date! Nah, I'm only kidding, of course. Leo says not to joke about that. Did you need him for something? Why are you both...looking like that?"