chapter two

I pulled my scarf closer to my cheeks. 

It was a brisk winter day in the middle of January. The sun was out and nearly blinding on the white snow. There wasn't a single cloud to be seen and the forecast hadn't predicted any more snow for the rest of the week. I didn't mind because there was enough snow on the ground that Finley was having trouble running around in the yard. 

I wished I had brought Finley with me.

I had taken Mikeal's car and I dropped the twins off at their new high school this morning. They had applied the day after we moved into the area and they had gotten approved immediately. Since it had been so close to Christmas break, they hadn't started until today. 

They were nervous but they had each other, and I told them to stand up for themselves. Not so much to get themselves suspended, but I didn't want them to suffer any more bullying. They were the new boys, and I wanted them to enjoy their final year of high school. 

Soon, the twins were planning to apply for their learning permits, and eventually their driver's licenses. Most likely in the spring when the roads were clear enough for them to start practicing. That would be new and interesting. 

It was hard to believe my little brothers were growing up. 

Ezra had left yesterday to head back to his university, which was only a little over an hour away. He had finally decided to go back to medical school and I was so proud of him. He had enough money to support himself and afford a dorm room with two roommates. He would come home on the weekends from now on, and it was nice. He seemed happier. 

Mikeal was home. He had been working from home ever since we moved. There was a smaller room downstairs that was perfect to transform into his office. I was thankful that his job continued to employ him from home, and he had even gotten a raise. 

It was really nice to have someone else in the house during the day, it didn't seem so lonely anymore. We would have lunch together and watch my favorite shows in between my online class schedules, and studying sessions. He had been a lot more relaxed--and himself--since we had moved. He wasn't stressed about bills, and neither was I.

I was getting closer to graduating. According to my advisor, I only had a year and a half left. By the fall of this year, I would start clinical rotations at the hospitals. It was nerve-wracking to think about but I was one step closer to earning my bachelor's degree in medicine. 

I didn't know what all it would entail but I had decided to pick up part-time work again. Mikeal and I had discussed it over breakfast this morning. He insisted that I didn't need to work, that he could support us now, and I appreciated it. 

However, I would need money in the future. I always would. Even more, I didn't know if I would move out for the last year of my schooling, so that I could be closer to my clinical sites. I wasn't sure how it would all play out but I wanted to be prepared. 

Mikeal had only agreed that I could apply at the little diner downtown if I promised not to overwork myself. I was only allowed to work sixteen hours a week and no more, those were his terms, and I had agreed to them. 

I knew he just wanted to support me, and I wanted to support myself. So, we found the middle ground; because both of us were stubborn enough to hold our ground if not. 

I stepped onto the sidewalk and walked towards the door of the diner. It was called the Little Red Diner, which I thought was fitting considering the red roof and window trims. I had known they were looking for help for a few weeks, and I had my application all filled out in my hand.