plagiarism

I have to be honest with you, reader. This book is plagiarized.

Some of that I've been clear about. It is one section in the chapter called "shrooms" I have to confess about.

"Tremble, tremble!" etc.

Those weren't the exact words she used when she told me that story. Sometimes I have to fill in the blanks of my own memory, going only off of impressions and feelings had in the intoxicated moments she spoke.

Forgive me, but I took those words from Andrew Garfield.

In "Silence", he plays a missionary in the 1600s gone to a tragic Japan where Christians are being murdered. In this particular scene, a Japanese Christian is being sent to die for his outlawed faith. He asks his "Padre" (Garfield) what they are to do in the face of the inquisitors. The first time I watched it, I heard him respond, "Tremble! Tremble. You tremble." And he is trembling and the acting is phenomenal, so it made sense: the beauty of faith, brave movement in the face of fear. Garfield made me feel how Grace did when she told me how she spoke to Anders by the fire on the shore.

Actually, it was Grace who first showed the film to me, saying she wasn't, "a fan of subtitles when I watch Marty's pictures." On my second watch of the film, I had them on. Turns out, "Padre's" line is, "Trample! Trample..." meaning "you must apostatize and save your life by trampling on the image of Jesus they place before you".

Still a beautiful sentiment though, I think, to allow yourself to "tremble", even if incorrect in Scorsese's context.