CHAPTER XII - Hard Decisions

Away from Fili and the others, we go to Toby and them who were having trouble on where to go. After walking that felt like forever to Marie, she eventually fell asleep and had to be carried by Toby who was frustrated that they are lost. Spencer, who thinks they are not lost, tries to convince Toby that they are nearby a village that could possibly help them. Toby was not having it, he was tired, hungry, and wants to take time to look at the map. They eventually settled down and rested. Toby got to look at the map but he had no idea where they were. Toby was convinced to a point that they were truly lost and that they would never be able to find Fili and them. Spencer saw how frustrated Toby was and decided to leave camp to find out where they are. Toby stayed at camp to watch Marie sleep, but she woke and got really close to Toby where they were the only two there.

That morning, Spencer came back into camp all excited to tell Toby where they are and where to go. Toby and Marie still trying to process what Spencer was trying to say, they heard a noise coming from the forest they were in. Getting into a fighting position, they were greeted by jack and them. Relieved that it was them, they asked them if they have Fili and Krystal. Not having them nor seeing them, they were worried more about Fili and Krystal. Jack pulled out the map to see where they could be, but they suddenly heard a noise coming from the sky. Jack saw it was a helicopter flying around the sky scouting the area. They all hid underneath the trees and waited till the helicopter was gone. Jack peeking out to make sure it was gone; they all took a dead run East to Seaside Coast. Toby asked Jack what about Fili and Krystal, Jack told him not to worry, that they might be making their way there.

Up in the sky, Sergeant Mark was the one in the helicopter scouting the area for that fox. Having no luck, one of the soldiers told Mark that he was needed at HQ. Turning back, Mark saw the others that were running. Jumping from his seat to get a better look, one of the soldiers asked, "Sir, did you see something?!" Mark stood there silently thinking what to say, eventually, he replied, "No... It was just my... imagination. Head back to HQ." The soldier replied back with a yes sir and set coordinates back to the facility.

Back at Fili, Krystal, and Astro, the three kept continuing on without having a break to try to find the others before something bad happens to them. Krystal getting tired, they decided to set their tents up and rest for the night. As Astro saw how Fili treated Krystal by fixing her tent and told her goodnight, Fili sat by the fire warming up. Astro tried to not ask about him and the wolf girl but asked him anyway. Fili not bothered by the question, answered by saying, "Well... it is a long story but, we are just friends." Astro agreeing with the reply asked him how did he and her met. From there, Fili told him everything from the day he wandered into the Nightglow Kingdom to the day he met Astro. Astro got intrigued by his story that he asked if he could do studies on him because he has never been able to find any information about a fox. Fili would gladly give any detail about a fox but preferred to wait after this was all over. The two sat there silently until Fili broke the silence by saying, "Do you think it's possible for two different species be together?" Astro sat there with a lone face and replied, "I... do not know. I have never seen or even heard of two different species falling in love. Even if they did, could you imagine the hate they could get? They wouldn't be allowed to enter anywhere. Even if they kept it a secret, their scent on each other would give it away. Every animal will be able to smell the scent from them." Fili not saying a word, sat there in distraught. Astro continued by saying, "If two species did end up falling in love, would they be able to communicate with each other. Take this for example, what would happen if a dog and a cat fell in love? They will both have different traits, a different diet, genes. Everything about a dog and a cat is different. It would be impossible for them to stay in love. You get what I'm saying?" Fili at a point where he is regretting everything he has done, slowly says yes, tells him that he is tired, and heads to bed. Astro feeling tired himself heads to bed as well.

TO BE CONTINUED IN CHAPTER 13...