Chapter 34

As we walked up the path I could already hear Angelique's voice from the back garden, I felt my Gran nudge me sharply.

"Harpie" she said with a smug look of distaste on her face. I shook my head yet again at her; this was a whole new side to my Gran, I had never noticed before how bitchy she was.

As I watching her, still agog I could suddenly see her expression change, her scowl was replaced with a truly beautiful smile, I was taken aback by how youthful she looked, her deep hazelnut eyes shone with life. It was just the laughter lines around her eyes which gave away her seventy years, she gave me one, almost imperceptible look before she held out her arms to embrace our hostess.

"Annie" she greeted as she kissed Mrs Conroy on the cheek. "Thank you so much for inviting us, you remember my granddaughter, Alex." Both women turned to look at me; I followed my Gran's lead and plastered on my biggest, fakest smile.

"Oh of course I do, the girls will be so pleased to see you." My smile didn't falter even though the voice inside my head was shouting at me to run home whilst I still had the chance. The thought of having to face them on my own had left a nasty taste in my mouth, this was the first time I had visited Spain without my brothers, so whereas I had always sought the solace in numbers I was rapidly feeling vulnerable and an easy lone prey for the terrible trio.

Oblivious to my inner turmoil Annie led us through the house and onto the back garden. I had been brought up well with my 'P's' and 'Q's drummed into us from an early age, so as soon as I stepped through the French doors I gasped causing Annie to turn suddenly.

"Oh my Mrs Conroy your garden is so beautiful this year." I gushed, the old ladies face beamed with pleasure and appreciation.

"Thank you so much for noticing, we are really proud of it." My gran smiled at me patting my hand sending her unspoken message of 'well done, that's my girl'.

The back garden was unexpectedly busy, as I looked around I recognised almost all of the forty or so faces. Within seconds of us stepping onto the deck Derek had brought us both a large glass of sparkling White wine over, I thanked him and took a sip. The Conroy's and my gran chatted, exchanging pleasantries whilst I surveyed the crowd for a friendly face. Finally my eyes met the familiar slate grey eyes I'd been searching for; I made my excuses to my gran and rushed over to their owner.

"Thank god Adam, I thought for a moment you weren't here." And as the relief of finally spotting my co-conspirator washed over me I quickly threw my arms round my oldest friend in Spain. Squeezing each other tightly we embraced for a long time, when we eventually separated he looked me up and down.

"Bloody hell Alex, you're looking fine." He said laughing. "Christ if it didn't feel like incest I'd fancy you myself." He again pulled me in for another hug. I wanted to stay wrapped in the safe cocoon of Adam's arms for the entire evening, as I nuzzled into his familiar strong chest I breathed in heavily knowing I would soon be engulfed in a cacophony of vanilla and musk, his well-known scent evoked memories from summers long gone.

Ever since we were toddlers on the beach Adam and I had been inseparable, we'd just hit it off right away. We met when I was four, the twins had coerced me into getting into the pit they had been digging all morning, within seconds they had filled it in and all that could be seen of me was my head sticking out of the sand. The boys thought it hilarious when I realised the weight of the sand was too great for me to be able to escape unaided, being typical older brothers they taunted me about sand crabs which would soon be coming to pinch and nip at my toes. By the time Adam came strolling by I was already near a fit of hysteria, snatching the shovel off Dominic he quickly exhumed me and helped me out. From that day onwards Adam had been like my own personal body guard, in the early years it was general to protect me from the high jinks of the twins but in more recent years he had been a shoulder to cry on, a listening ear and a shield from the likes of the Conroy kids.