Chapter 12

"Well I heard they'd been arguing, Mark told me it was because Daniel hadn't been home in a while and Tina had phoned a couple of times and he'd been out, but perhaps he got it wrong" joined in Sarah. The conversation in the room ceased and the girls looked at me expectantly. I felt like I'd missed the pivotal scene in a movie and was now lost, I looked back at each of them not sure what they wanted me to say.

"So" Naomi pried "What's going on?" It was like being in an aquarium with expectant faces pushed up against the glass waiting for me to do something.

"I have no idea what you're talking about, I did go the library with Daniel but we both had work to do, I'm sorry if you're disappointed but there's absolutely nothing going on there."

"So why did Tina go home in a strop?" Naomi tried to work through her quandary.

"I've got no idea, but I don't think it had anything to do with me" I confirmed honestly.

"Yeah, I think she may be right, Chris had said he'd heard Daniel arguing with Tina on the phone a lot over the last couple of weeks so that can't be Alex's fault as Tina didn't know about her." Katie's reasoning seemed to close the topic of conversation.

I felt elated and sick at the same time. I hadn't missed Katie's timeline; it was two weeks ago when I first visited and by coincidence Daniel started arguing with Tina two weeks ago. I allowed my mind to race with the possibilities, just for a second. But then, reality hit, and my stomach lurched, oh my god! What am I doing? That poor girl, with the way this lot like to gossip, I'd hate to think what they've said to her. It's no wonder she's pissed, I would be too.

"Erm Alex?" Sarah asked timidly, "I'm sorry for opening my big mouth before...about James" she continued. "I just think it's so great that's all".

"I'm sure you do" interrupted Naomi rudely, noticing my puzzled expression she elaborated. "Well if you're loved up with James then that means Mark is available".

"Do you like Mark?" I asked rather stupidly, Sarah didn't need to reply her deep crimson face was all the answer I needed. "Ooohhh, you never said, I'll put a good word in for you if you like" I suggested helpfully.

"No!" she screeched, "you can't, I'd die if he said no".

"Yeah, but then at least you'd know and you can move onto someone else" I added.

"Thanks for the offer but, no" she concluded.

"Ok, but I've had an idea, I'm going running tomorrow morning with some of the boys, and Mark is one of them, why don't you come too. It'd be great for me, then I'm not the only girl and you could spend time with Mark." After a little more persuasion she finally agreed.

By the time the pampering session was over I'd had my nails and hair done and my eyebrows waxed. I'd declined the offer of a moustache wax; I do however feel I now need counselling to deal with my complex about the unsightly upper lip hair I never realised I had.

By nine o'clock we were all primped and preened and looked far too well put together for a night out in a grotty student bar.