Part 1: Introduction

December 16, 1773

In the early morning of the winter season, handbills were plastered throughout the roads of Boston. Darcaue Hewes, a slave who could not read, looked upon the printed words. Squinting at the paper- for the freezing cold, combined with the snow that was falling, made it impossible to read. Although it wouldn't have made a difference for him anyways, because no matter how he tried- which included sounding each letter of the words out, he couldn't understand them. Giving up, he walked past the sign and went into his master's shoe store where Mr. Hewes was waiting for him.

Darcaue was a smart man. He may not know how to read nor write, and may not even know how to do math- but he had great common sense and was a hard worker. Of course, that didn't stop him from being laughed at behind his back. He wasn't ignorant. Whenever he'd turn his back on people, he could see their expression change from politeness to rudeness- and that was only from the corner of his eye. Sometimes, when he would walk along the harbor after a long day of work, he would hear the mocking sounds from the sailors. The words were harsh, jagged, and rough, and had only one intention- to get arouse out of him. However since the teasing started, he became use to it. Now when people say rude stuff to him, he can pass them without even clenching his fists- which was a good start. Back when he first started to work for Hewes, he would get into fights with the townspeople. It wasn't his fault- they were asking for it. Sadly though, in this society it would always be his or any other black man's fault.

That's why he wished he could read and write. Darcaue was never good at words verbally, but he knew that if he took time to think about what he was going to say, people wouldn't think so little of him. Writing down what he felt would help him let out his anger- anger that was due to the colonists' hateful remarks. Darcaue played with his fingers- for that was his habit when he was about to get angry. It would start with the tips of his fingers, slowly working its way through the core of his body until he lost it. He wasn't going to get upset, he thought as he walked into the shoe store.

His master, Hewes, treated Darcaue and the other slaves quite well. He's never beaten his slaves, nor has he ever sent them to bed without eating. In fact, he was probably one of the kindest compared to most. George Robert Twelve Hewes was an orderly man though. He liked rules, and he expected everyone to follow them. The rules weren't outrageous either- at least not to him. For what's wrong with wanting direct eye contact when he speaks? Or only talking when being talked to?

From the perspective of his slaves, Hewes was a strict man- yet he wasn't a violent one. Years ago, when Hewes was just a boy, his father past away. Only months after- due to the pain and grief of losing his father- his mother started to beat and whip him. This shaped him into the man he is now, for Hewes would not stand any sort of violence and he made his opinion known. When loyalists were being tarred and feathered- just because they didn't have the same views as others- he spoke up. After witnessing his friends being injured by the lobster backs during the Boston Massacre, Hewes made his voice be heard by siding with the patriots.

Unlike Hewes, Darcaue was weary about "siding" with the patriots. Those patriots were the men that occasionally picked on him. Also, as selfish as it was- why should he fights for some else's freedom? Most likely- although he still had a little hope- the colonists won't grant his or any of the other slaves' freedom. So what would be the point, he thought, feeling like it was a pointless situation for any enslaved African American.

Darcaue shook his head. If his master knew such treasonous ideas, he surely would be whipped- yet he did doubt it. Still, he didn't want to take his chances. The day when Hewes would become violent, would certainly not be a day Darcaue or anyone at the shop would want to see. So, as he sat at his small wooden desk, he focused on the small chip on the top of his poorly made chair to try to diverge his thoughts. Just then, his master appeared from the upstairs floor, in which the bedrooms were located. After getting a restless sleep, and trying to relax with a cup of tea with his wife, it was finally time for Hewes to start his real day.

Hewes looked around at his 5 slaves, who ranged from 18 to almost 60, and then stopped at Darcaue. Only 24 years of age, he was probably Hewes's best worker. He knew that Darcaue was good at what he did. He had a keen eye and paid close to attention to detail. Not only that, but he was obedient and loyal, and could carry almost anything- for he was strong and fit. It was why he usually had Darcaue bring the shipments from the dock to his store- for none of the other slaves could handle such a task.

The Sons of Liberty needed a man like that, Hewes instantly thought. He then took a step back, realizing the depth of what he was saying. Even so, he let his mind wonder what it would be like for a slave to join the most secretive group in the colonies. If Darcaue was just as passionate as he was for freedom, others would stand by him and follow his lead. He was a leader, just as Hewes, and the patriots needed more leaders- for things were growing tenser by the second. Colonists weren't happy with the new tax on tea- actually they weren't ever happy when the British would do something without their say. Today's mishap proved that. For the handbills around town told colonists that it was time again to act against their enemies. The colonists have run out of patience, and they want something to be done about the injustice. He knew it was only amount of time before chaos and destruction would occur if they didn't do anything- and that certainly wouldn't solve a thing. Hewes just hoped that whatever the group planned on today, violence would not be involved.

The handbill stated that this would be the final meeting for action. The meetings, hosted by The Sons of Liberty, would usually meet somewhere private. However due to so many attending their meetings recently, they are being held at the old south meeting house. Hewes thought he should bring Darcaue along. Maybe with his help, they could find a way to protest the tea. Most likely Darcaue would be quite useful, but then Hewes wondered, would he help the patriots? He knew he could force Darcaue to help them, but that would just be like a king. And although working without a choice wasn't fair, he believed that someone should have a choice in who he sided with.

Finally the war between whether or not he should bring Darcaue along won out. He made a plan in his head, and then played it out.

"Darcaue." Hewes said simply.

Darcaue turned his head, wandering why he was the only one being addressed. It wasn't normal for Hewes to speak to one of his slaves directly, for he usually spoke to them as a whole.

"There is to be a meeting for anyone who's against the British rule. It is at 10 o'clock, and you are allowed to attend with me." Then Hewes added, "If you'd like."

He didn't wait for Darcaue to respond to him. He quickly turned his back so his slave couldn't speak, and walked over to his desk. Unlike the slaves', his desk was freshly painted a black hue. With small compartments and a place for his materials, he was able to go back to work without any distractions.

The slaves were looking at Darcaue, wondering what had happened. Why would their master want Darcaue, much less any of his slaves, to attend? Certainly the patriots wouldn't welcome any black man, whether they were free or not, so why would Hewes? But that wasn't their only question either, for they wondered if Darcaue would choose to go or not. Most certainly he would, thought one of the younger slaves. This particular slave had it in his mind that he'd be crazy not to go. The slave thought he'd be fighting for not just his, but their freedom also. Other slaves like Bess, who was much older than all of the slaves, wandered if Darcaue would be punished if he didn't go. They all knew Hewes would never strike them. (Although that didn't stop Bess from flinching whenever he was nearby- for she use to work for a master who treated her with great cruelty.) But she did know, Hewes would discipline them. Sometimes they would be embarrassed, or if it was bad enough- he would force them to make an unreasonable amount of shoes in only a night. Bess shivered at that thought. All of the slaves have experienced that punishment. The slaves would get cocky or too confident, thinking they had more power than him. Yet every time, Hewes would show them that they weren't allowed to go against him.

Darcaue, not aware of the other slave's commotion, knew he'd go to the meeting. Not because he thought he'd be free, or because he would be punished if he didn't. No, it was simply because he was curious. He may not know if he wants to fight with the colonists yet, but for now he would try to remain neutral, and attend the meeting.