chapter 20

S O R E N
P R E S E N T  D A Y

"Hey." I turned around slowly at a voice that sounds familiar. I take a glance, trying to remember where I met her.

Is she Kohl's maid?

She moves her hair behind her ear, "Avira, we meet at Kohl's engagement party."

"Oh, right."

"What are you doing?" She nods her chin behind me.

Is it not clear I'm setting up a table for a kid's party?

"Party planning."

"Sounds fun, let me join." She moves past me, bumping into my shoulder. I blink, wondering where the hell she came from.

"So what do you do?" She asks trying to start a conversation that I don't even want to have.

"I kill people," I responded hoping that'll scare her off.

"That sounds fun." Dammit, worth a try.

I hummed, moving towards another table. Unfortunately ten seconds after I move, she follows me.

"Single?"

"No."

Please take the hint.

"Bummer, where's your girl?"

"Napping."

"While you set up this party by yourself?"

I narrow my eyes at her but she continues to look at me with a smile, "She deserves a break."

"Hmm, okay." She answers going back to whatever she was doing.

Not even five minutes later she comes back, "If you were to become a dinosaur, which one would you choose?"

Literally any one of them so I don't have to converse with anyone right now.

"Hey! You!" A teenage girl from the corner of the house appears stomping my way. Who are these people and where are they coming from?

"Wha–" Before I finish, her boot connects into my shin hard. I crouch over, narrowing my eyes.

"Halo, you weren't supposed to come yet!" Avira tells the girl.

"You said eight minutes."

"I said ten."

"I'm pretty sure you said eight."

"Whatever."

I rubbed my shin because that actually hurt and stared at the two girls in front of me. The teen girl has short, deep red hair. Her skin is tan, with a small number of freckles littered across her nose.

She looks at me up and down, before trying to kick me one more time. I catch her foot and placed it down harshly.

"You look like you want to kill us." Avira laughs. I don't respond, not wanting to give in to the urge. "You can't hurt us."

I stalk forward, my brows rising, "I can't?"

The teen nods, "You hurt us, Vera hurts you." The expression on my face gives them confirmation that I am confused, and that makes both of them smile. "Avira Wells." She points to her left, "I'm Halo Wells. Vera's cousins and Emmy's aunties."

My anger disperses, and the urge to kill two annoying pests disappears.

I blink, and they blink back. "Do you need something?"

"Yeah, for you to leave Vera alone." Halo crosses her arms, left hip out as she hits me with her sass.

"No."