chapter 35

S O R E N
P R E S E N T D A Y

I wake up with pain throbbing on the right side of my head. My limbs aren't moving. No matter how much I try, they just won't budge at all.

"Shh, it's okay you're safe."

I recognize that voice but I can't see clearly. My vision is hazy. As soon as I blink away the blurriness, I see Damien's face in front of me as he takes a warm towel and puts it on my head.

"Let me go!" I shake the chair making it rock back and forth on the ground.

"Soren, stop it." He says quietly. Why is he whispering? Where the fuck am I?

I'm tied to a cold metal chair, placed right in the center of an all-white room with no furniture and so old desks. There was one small window behind me but I don't think I could fit through that.

"Damien, untie me. I thought we were friends." I spat trying to twist my hands out of the tight ropes. When I find a way out of these I'm going to murder that bastard.

He places his hands on my shoulders, holding me still and catching my attention. "I'm on Kohl's payroll okay? Vera sent me here to protect you."

Now he's using my girl as an excuse?

"Don't lie to me."

Damien pulls out his phone, showing me some messages between them.

There were messages there about cameras being installed, updates on how many members Tristan has recruited, and such.

"Here's her number." He shows me her phone number and I blink.

I look at him, directly in the eye, in all seriousness, "Why do you have my girl's number?"

He let's out an aggravated breath, "Soren, I've been working with your girl for a couple of months to bring Tristan down. I'm only here to protect you, okay? Not to hurt you."

I shake my head, not believing this. Is this a bad dream? I just want to go home to my girls right now. Does Emmy know I'm gone? It's dark out so she should be asleep by now.

Fuck, I missed our bedtime storytime.

"There aren't cameras in here but there are men outside of these doors. Tristan is going to threaten you with Emmy's life okay? But no matter how far he goes you do not spill one ounce of information that'll help him get to them. Kohl and his men are waiting for the right moment to come." He tells me quietly.

I don't know whether to believe him or not. I mean he has shown me proof of Vera and his text messages, along with her cell phone number but how can I be too sure?

"You need to trust me okay? If I weren't on Vera's side I wouldn't be here right now." He tells me as if he can read my mind. He's good at that considering we've had the same training since we were little. "They've been planning this for years, Tristan has no upper hand here so don't give him one. "

I nod.

"Good, you'll probably be here for a couple of days until they decide to move in. Remember, do not give them the upper hand." He says sternly, before grabbing my shoulder and squeezing. "Good luck."

I watch as his figure retreats to the corner, he bends down to pick up the piece of rug and lifts up the tile. What in the fuck? He climbs down and waves before sliding the tile back over and the rug immediately falls over it.

In exactly ten seconds, Tristan opens the door, a smile playing on his face. Two men who I recognize follow him but he stops them with one swift lift of his hand. He tells them to stay outside and then closes the door.