chapter 34

V E R A
P R E S E N T  D A Y

Emmy has fallen asleep in my room after hours and hours of swimming. She's beyond tired and has complained about not being able to move any of her limbs.

It has been seven hours and Soren has not been back yet. The last text I received from him was that he made it to the house. I immediately had a feeling that something is wrong once it passed an hour and he didn't text me to tell me he was back on the road.

My hands are clutching onto my phone, the sweat clinging onto areas of my phone and it feels gross. I shouldn't be reacting like this because I've planned for this. There were so many routes Tristan could've taken and he chose the easiest one.    

I have people, near his property tracking to see if Tristan would either keep Soren there or if he'd take him elsewhere. Tristan believes he's intelligent, he speaks like he's a know-it-all but really he's just good at torturing people to get his answer.

I've spent four years tracking his every move, his payments, the women he sleeps with, the people he has killed, and the people who walk in and out of his home. I know just about everything he has done within the past five years.

I snuck in a couple of Kohl's soldiers, even recruited a couple secretly and Tristan has no damn clue. Like I said he may act like he's a know-it-all but there have been a lot of things I've been able to sneak into his home without him noticing.

I decide to open up the site for the hidden cameras I snuck into his house thanks to Damien who is now on Kohl's payroll. He put them in every corner so there are about two hundred hidden cameras in his home. Avira and her team had created these themselves and they're able to go undetected just in case Tristan gets his house checked for bugs.

I open up the cameras from the time Soren had texted me and started watching the clips and unfortunately I was right. Soren put up a good fight against Tristan's men but even I'll admit these men would've probably caught my ass too. Are they on steroids? Knowing Tristan he probably gave them some.

Tristan sticks a needle with some sort of content into Soren's neck and my mind is going absolutely insane. I want to wrap my hand around Tristan's neck, slamming him face-first into a giant cactus, toss his body off Mount Everest, go pick him back up, and put him through a blender.

I'm going to fuck him up so bad if that drug kills my man.

I run out of the tech room, going to Kohl's room in the west wing. I don't even bother to knock on the door as I basically knock down the door to his room. Cassio is laying on Kohl and immediately jumps up, getting ready to grab his gun.

"What Vera?" He snaps when he finds out it's just lil ole me.

I threw my phone at them, "Tristan, plan 6."

Cass immediately jumps out of bed and pulls on his pants. Kohl is watching over the footage and then slides out of the bed.

"Round up the groups and get them ready." He tells Cass who nods and leaves. "You and Emmy should go to your father's house."

I nod my head quickly, "And then I'll come to meet you."

Kohl sighs, "No, I think it'll be best if you stayed with Emmy and the rest of your family. He's targeting you right now, not me. I'll need you to hold down the fort here just in case something happens to me."

My body shakes with anxiety, "I need to go with you, to find Soren and to protect you."

Kohl walks over to me and grabs me by the shoulder, "I can protect myself and so can Soren. You should stay with your daughter, she'll need you the most."

He's right. He's absolutely right but there's just a part of me that doesn't feel like it's right.

I've contacted all of my uncles who are on their way to my dad's house. All of the women in my family, along with the kids have gotten on a plane as soon as I alerted them.

If there's one thing I know for sure, Tristan was going to attack me and come for the rest of my family. He'll finish what his father wasn't able to do and that is to get rid of Gabriel Wells along with his entire family.

"I'll have the cars escort you and Emmy back to New Jersey."

I nodded not knowing what else to say. I'm so conflicted about which step I should take. I mean I planned all of these things out, every single move, how many people we'll need, which place we'll stay in until we can make a move but I didn't realize I was planning it as if I was in Kohl's position. He's the leader here, and I never took the time to plan out what my exact moves would be. I didn't have time to analyze my moves now, especially with Soren's life in the hands of his brother. Correction, nephew.

Ew, that's so weird to think about.

There's an abandoned warehouse at the northern borders of Philadelphia where Tristan would hold all of the meetings for the group of traitors he's leading. He's most likely gonna take Soren there to keep him while he starts to make bigger moves.

If he kidnapped Soren, that means only a quarter of his men are there with him in the warehouse. The rest of them have split, one big group going to Kohl's house, their second main target. Another group went to my dad's house and then smaller groups to the rest of the family.

Going to my dad's house would be stupid, but they don't know we know that they're about to come to us. Kohl and I have been planning this for years and everything we've learned about Tristan has led us to this. He and I, along with Cass are the only people who know the exact details of this plan and we agreed it would be best to direct the soldiers on the day of so our plan wouldn't be revealed.

And as much as Tristan loves the dramatic effects, he wouldn't bomb any of these houses. Tristan and his group of rat bastards don't want any attention as they slowly start to take over this place. Once they're at the top, they'll make it known that they are unstoppable.

Unstoppable my butt. I've seen the shit they've been trying to do and honestly, it's child's play. My four-year-old daughter can do much better.

Damien: Tristan has brought Soren to the warehouse. He's a bit roughed up but I'll take care of him.

I let out a sigh, thanking the universe that he's still alive.

Tristan wouldn't kill Soren, he needs him to sign over the original will because I completely destroyed the false one without having it get traced back to me.

Emmy and I have our bags packed already. We don't need much considering we've only moved into Kohl's house a couple of months ago so a lot of our stuff is still at my dad's house.

I picked up my sleeping daughter and we all move into the car.

I haven't felt these kinds of nerves in so long. I wish Soren was here with us. I need to feel the warmth radiating from his body. I need to know he'll make it out alive. If I lose him, if Emmy loses her daddy, I don't know what I would do or how to tell her. She just got him and now she might lose him.

Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. I hate this shit.

•••
Thank you for reading and remember to VOTE
if you enjoyed!
published: march 24th, 2023