chapter 32

V E R A
A G E 8

Emilia, where's Emilia? I want to play with Emilia today. She promised me she'd play with me after she finished her homework. Daddy isn't home right now, he's in a business meeting with these big tough men that sometimes scare me.

Daddy says I'm tough because I have always looked at those men in the eyes, he tells me he's proud for never cowering. Whatever that means.

I hop down the stairs, jumping and counting the steps it takes me to get down. I do this all the time because it's fun. I peek in the corner of the kitchen when Emilia is arguing with mommy. They always argue.

Mommy raises her arm up and Emilia flinches. I stand back and watch, afraid to interrupt because mommy had always told me not to be involved with their fights.

Mommy grabs Emilia and pushes her off the stool while Emilia tries to wiggle her way out of mommy's hands. Mommy turns looking from side to side before taking Emilia out of the house through the back door. I follow them quietly, keeping my eyes on them so I don't lose them. Mommy takes her to a black, big van parked on the side and tosses Emilia into the driver's seat. I can't see who's in the car from behind this bush but I know that Daddy told Mommy not to go anywhere when he's away.

I know I'm not supposed to leave the house by myself but Mommy looked really angry with Emilia. I have a feeling that this isn't going to be good. I grab my bike and helmet following the big van down the street. They only went two blocks over, into a small house that looked like it was once on fire. There are four men with mommy, and one of them is dragging Emilia.

I want to run over to them, kick them until they let go of my sister but Daddy told me that I need to be strategic. I need to make sure I move quietly, and swiftly when I'm fighting with any enemy that is bigger than me. I'm only still little so there's only so much I could do. I grab the little pocket knife that Daddy had given me in case of emergencies. This is an emergency.

Mommy kisses one of the guys and I gasp. Is she cheating on Daddy?

Ugh, gross.

Once they have all entered the house, I run across the street sadly leaving my bike hidden behind a tree. Somebody could steal it. How will I get home?

No, don't worry about the bike right now. Emilia could be in trouble.

I peek through the windows, trying to find them. Once I find the right one I see three men, tying Emilia to a chair. She's wiggling and freaking out but they're stronger than her. Mommy is laughing and giggling as one of the men slaps her butt. Gross.

Emilia catches my eye through the window, her body freezing. She mouths, "Go." All of the men in the room drive their attention toward the window, Mommy looks mad. I back away to run but I end up crashing into something.

I look up, rubbing my head.

"Gotcha." A deep voice says before he grabs me. I kick my legs back, throw my head back to try to hurt this ugly man holding onto me like a sack of dusty potatoes but he won't let go. Why is he so strong?

He brings me into the house, into the same room Emilia was in. They toss me onto the similar chair she's laying in and tie me down so I face Emilia. She cries once she sees me, "Let her go, let Vera go now!" She exclaims.

"Now Emilia, don't yell at your mother like that." Mommy slaps Emilia's cheeks roughly.

"Vera!" Emilia calls out.

"Yes?"

"Be better than her okay? Always be better." Emilia is struggling against the bands. I don't know what she means by that. "Don't let her actions define you. Be better."