―XXXI. LIKE YOU

CHAPTER XXXI

CHAPTER XXXI. I WANNA BE LIKE YOU.

__________________________________

The air was brisk, icy needles shooting across my cheeks and disappearing within the wind. My dress blew behind me as I stood on the rocks, my gaze falling onto the girl. She shuddered when she dipped her hands into the cold water of the stream. She cupped her hands, allowing them to fill with water before bringing them to her lips. When she quenched her thirst, she splashed some of the water onto her face. She squealed at the coldness as she jumped up, running up the hillside.

"Ready?" I asked her, holding my hand out to her. She nodded and took my hand.

"Eris-sama," She said, wiping her mouth with her hand. "Where are we going?"

"Somewhere far away from here," I replied. "You'll be safe with me, child. That I can promise."

She smiled, her cracked lips pulling apart almost painfully. She nuzzled herself into my side, holding my dress with her free hand. She gave a small gasp of surprise when I picked her up.

"E-Eris-sama?" She whispered, her eyes wide.

"Your feet are blistered," I said, walking away from the stream. "You shouldn't walk until they heal."

"I-It's okay," She said. "I-I don't wanna be a burden..."

"Nonsense," I huffed.

"Stop your whining," Sukuna said.

"Don't be mean to her," I frowned, approaching where he stood by the black mare he'd taken from another village. "She's a child, and she isn't whining."

"I'm talking about you," He said, grinning slightly. I kicked him as I passed. I placed the girl on the horse before climbing on after her. I grabbed my hood and pulled it up as Sukuna steadied the horse before pulling her into motion.

It didn't take long for the girl to succumb to sleep against my chest. She huddled within my cloak, seeking after my warmth. I kept my arm around her.

"Are you tired, my love?" I asked, looking down to where Sukuna held the reins of the horse, walking beside her as we traveled.

"No," He said, looking around as he did every five minutes or so. "Rest."

"I'm not tired either," I said. I moved some hair from the girl's shoulder, causing her to lean closer to my chest.

"Why did you take her and not any of the others?" He asked after a moment. "What's so special about this ragdoll of a child?"

"You remember what we once were," I said. "I saw a part of myself in her. The same hopelessness after I lost my Rin. I couldn't leave her there with those rancid humans."