Dark Lullaby: Chapter Six-The Move

Dark Lullaby-Chapter Six.

Damian's POV.

After my talk with Amelia, I wasn't sure what to expect at school the next day. Were we a couple? Heck, did she even like me? Of course she did. She wouldn't tell me this huge secret if she didn't. She especially wouldn't go into detail about how we loved in a past life and how I died on her hands. 

The school stood the same, but there was something different. It seemed to mock my worrying ways. There was only one way to ease my suspicions and fears. That plan was to walk in like I owned the place and not give a care whether I was rejected by Amelia or not. Which, actually, I really did care. At this school, I only cared what Amelia thought of me. If Melanie thought I was ugly and overrated, then so be it. If Amelia thought that...well, I'd be pretty upset. 

So I swaggered into the schoolyard straight toward Amelia, who had her eyebrows raised and her mouth pulled into her signature smirk. "I thought that you'd stand in the entrance forever," she said, laughing. She stood up to kiss me quickly, and then giggled.

"What?" I asked defensively. My cheeks burned and I covered my face. "I'm blushing, that's why, isn't it? God, how's that funny?" I asked her, my question muffled by my palms. She pursed her lips in and obvious attempt to stop laughing

"I know, I know, I'm sorry. You're cute when you blush though. You don't see most guys blush," she responded, grinning. I peeked out at her between my fingers, then removed my hands. 

"That doesn't make me feel better at all."

Suddenly, someone came up behind her and clasped his palms to her eyes. "Hey, what are you doing, Damian?" she asked, trying to remove the hands. The boy had messy blond hair and bright blue eyes. His whole look screamed 'surfer' and he wore a confident grin on his face.

"It's not me," I answered. "Who're you?" 

"God, doesn't the boy who broke you out get any respect?" he asked, removing his hands. Amelia's face lit up as she spun around. She gave a friendly hug to the guy, leaving me to stand there like an idiot.

"Damian, this is Derek. Derek, I'm sure you know this is Damian," Amelia said, gesturing to me. I raised my hand in a small wave. Talk about awkward.

Derek grinned. "I know. Man, I'd recognize those green eyes anywhere. You're lucky," he said to me, shaking his head. Amelia nodded, and I averted my gaze toward her.

"So, how do you know Amelia?" I asked, puzzled.

"I-" Derek began, but stopped. He shot a glance at Amelia to ask Is this okay? She nodded slightly and Derek smiled.

"I was the one who helped you with your escape from Catherine. I was her helper, her trusted being. But sometimes you just can't take it," he explained, but I was still clueless.

"Wait a second. Who's Catherine?" I inquired.

Amelia gazed at me. "My instructor," she replied.

I pressed my lips together and nodded. It seemed as if they had an unspoken bond-which was probably true. I was the odd one out in this relationship. Basically, I was the guy who they tried to save, but died anyway. Also, it was I whom ruined everything. It was a lose-lose situation.

No sooner were my thoughts completed that Amelia was by my side. She tangled her fingers in mine and squeezed my hand. "So what're you doing here?" she asked, smiling.

"I needed a change. Believe me, the same old gets annoying after a while," said Derek. I wasn't sure if it was my imagination, but I could've swore he glanced in my direction. But I blinked and he was grinning, his dark blond hair poking into his eyes.