Chapter 6: Aspen

"Get ready to head out to the club tonight."

What? Daire just walked into Elly's room and tossed his command out like it was nothing. In the week since we'd arrived back in Drayton, we haven't spoken much. Whenever he leaves the house, there's a prospect watching his home -- making sure I don't take Elly and run?

"I'm not going to the clubhouse. I'm staying at your house" – I refused to call Daire's place home – "with Elly."

"There's a family party tonight to welcome back you and Elly."

The lasers shooting from my eyes should have been his first clue. "How lovely, but unfortunately the guests of honor won't be there. I'm not allowing my daughter to be around your band of merry men and the sluts they hang with. And I'm not sure why they'd be down with welcoming me back when one, I'm only back because you threatened me and two, every one of them turned their back on me after you threw us away."

"That's the brotherhood, Aspen. We have each others' backs."

"Well, how fortunate for you that you had people to support you during your meltdown. I was so, so worried about you this last year." I stopped a moment and then let him in a little to see how he'd react. "They wouldn't serve me in the diner and I had to walk out while they all watched. I said hi several times to some of the women I saw in the grocery store or around town and they just straight up ignored me."

He rakes his hand through his hair again, and that's twice I've caused this. I'm beginning to realize that he does that when he's unsure, and the gesture makes an impression on me because Daire wears his confidence as unconsciously as his clothes.

"I'm sorry," he tells me in a low voice, and I don't detect anything but truth in his tone. "I hate what I did to you, hate what I said to you, hate that they followed my lead and hurt you, too. I can't go back and undo it. I wish I could, little one. I'd give anything to go back and change my reaction. I'm trying to prove to you that I'm different now, but I feel like you're never going to forgive me." He looks right into my eyes with a pained expression. "That's on me, too. Before I did this to you, you were open and forgiving and generous and caring – and I feel like I destroyed all of that. And that kills me, Aspen. I'm sorry."

For a long moment, I just allow our eyes to meet; I want to cave so badly and grant him absolution, but I think about what he put me through and just can't. "Sometimes sorry's not enough," I say softly.

"I want you and Elly to go tonight because I want to make a strong statement to my club that you and Elly are back, you're both mine, and you are my top priorities."

"I'm not –"

"You are," he says firmly. "You don't want to admit it, but you are."

"It's not a matter of admitting it – it's a matter of me not believing it!" I snap. "That's why. I'm waiting for you to get mad at me again and throw me away! I'm waiting for you to turn back to your cheap whores. I'm waiting for you to try to take Elly from me and cut me out of her life."

He moves with lightning speed and frames my face with his big hands. "I was threatening you but it's because I want you back and I don't know how to make you agree unless I threaten you."

"Well that should tell you something!" I cry. "Like maybe I don't want to be with you. And getting me to do what you want under threat of taking my daughter away from me is a sure way to keep that hatred and bitterness in me alive and well."

He clenches his jaw and then leans forward. "You have a choice. Either come with me and Elly or stay at home by yourself. I'm taking my daughter to the club for the party."

"You can't do that," I hiss at him, trying not to scream since little Miss Elly is in my arms, one chubby hand twisted in my hair.

"The hell I can't. She's my daughter and I can take her wherever and whenever the hell I want."