A Prison By Any Other Name

Featured Gaelic and Pronunciations:

Mo nighean beagan (mo nee-yehn beek-ehn) - my little lass

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

24 December, 2146

Glasgow, Scotland

CATRÌONA POV

Tom opened the door to the small two-bedroom flat, allowing me to step inside before him. It was decorated with Christmas decorations everywhere - Santas, reindeer, red and white all over the place, and a rather large and ostentatiously decorated Christmas tree against the window. To be honest, it was a bit sickening to see. I hadn't celebrated Christmas since I was fourteen - my last Christmas with my family. In the eighteenth century, Christmas had only recently come back, but the people of Scotland were so used to growing up and living without it that they simply celebrated Hogmanay instead, which combined Christmas and the new year. "It's a bit small, I know, but it'll do," Tom was saying as he closed the door behind me.

"It's... quaint," I said, my hand resting on my belly. The beginnings of a bump were starting to become visible, though one wouldn't be able to tell from looking at me. I knew, on the other hand - I could feel the life inside of me. Truth to be told, I didn't want it there, not in the moment. That bairn was responsible for separating Jamie and I. Had I not been pregnant, we could have left Scotland and stayed together, but this child threw a wrench in those plans. I couldn't blame Jamie for wanting to protect and save his child, but I could blame the child for being there.

"Quaint... That sounds like disappointment," said Tom, and he let out a sigh. "I'm trying, Cat. I'm trying really hard."

"I know ye are," I said back to him meekly. "It... it's fine, it's just... not what I'm used te."

"What are you used to? A cave?" Tom asked me, intending for it to be a tease, but I knew it was another jab at his abductor theory. The police had spoken to me a few weeks ago and I'd told them the same thing I told him, that I wasn't kidnapped. They'd told Tom that I'd simply left him for another man, which angered him, and once they had left, he'd demanded to know where the hell I was, but I continued to refuse to tell him. However, I supposed a cave also wasn't too far off the mark, either. "I ordered dinner to be delivered tonight so we wouldn't have to clean dishes. How do you feel about Thai?"

"Thai?" I asked him, raising an eyebrow. "Oh, like Thailand."

"You really have been away from society, haven't you?" he asked me. "Oh, no bother. It'll be here in about half an hour. You'll like it, trust me. Anyway, I put together a calendar for you so you'll be able to go to your appointments and such independently eventually. I'll still bring you to your scans, but the therapist you can see on your own."

"Scans?" I asked, my eyes widening with alarm.

"Yes, scans. You can't hide from them forever, Cat. The doctors need to see how the baby is doing," Tom replied, almost scolding me.

"Those damn things arenae gettin' anywhere near me," I said, protecting my belly with my hands.

"They are . We need to make sure the baby is okay-"

"The baby is fine," I snapped, interrupting him. "I've had two other children that were both perfectly fine and I never had any scans with them."

"See, that just doesn't make sense, Cat," said Tom, shaking his head. "Where are these other children? Why aren't they with you?"