Chapter 26

After tossing and turning for what felt like an eternity, I finally had enough of pretending that I would fall asleep if I would give it a few more minutes.

I stood from the bed, wondering whether or not walking around in the middle of the night was a halfway decent idea; although it was not like I had anything else to do with my time.

The floor was ice cold as my feet touched it, making me tempted to crawl back into bed, safe in the warmth I had made.

As I walked through the manor, I saw a small flickering light coming from a room near the parlor. My curiosity got the better of me though as I slowly walked towards the room, finding Killian seated in a room filled with books. He sat in a chair, reading near the fireplace, looking so unlike himself.

He appeared focused in whatever it was he was losing himself in, almost as if he were unable to pull away from it. I watched him, interested in how calm he appeared to be.

Is it possible that he was better than the man I had assumed him to be?

I took a deep breath and softly knocked on the door, letting my knuckles rest against the door.

He glanced up, surprised to see me "Are you having difficulties sleeping?"

I gave a small nod and he nodded in return, taking a deep breath.

"I am not surprised; especially considering how much time you have already spent sleeping since arriving"

"May I enter?" I asked, not wanting to just walk in and risk disrupting what he was doing.

He looked at me, debating with himself, but soon motioned for me to walk forward.

I walked in, looking around at the shelves of books before taking a seat opposite of him. There were so many books in here, and with as small as the room was, it took over "Are you building a collection?"

"When you seem to live forever you must find a way to occupy your time; this is mine" he said, going back to his book.

"What are you reading?" I asked, unsure why I seemed eager to make conversation with him, especially after how unsure I was about being alone with him like this.

Perhaps I was desperate to ease the isolation forming inside of my mind.

"Le Liaisons dangereuses" he answered.

"I am going to assume that it is a book in another language"

"You would be correct" he said, resting the book on his chest and staring at me "I happen to enjoy French literature"

"My father worked with someone who was from France; his family joined us for dinner one evening and I found their language quite beautiful to listen to" I said, looking down as I played with my hands "Jacqueline makes the accent sound less enjoyable"

"Do you speak it?" he asked, going along with my attempt at a conversation.

I shook my head "My father always found other languages useless, especially when it came to a woman's real duties"

"And what are a woman's real duties?" he asked, almost amused by my comment.

"Being a wife and having as many children as your body can handle before disintegrating"

He scoffed "I see that he is living in the old years. Can this society never evolve, or is it destined to continue living without growing?"

I tilted my head "I am surprised that someone as old as yourself thinks in such an unheard fashion"