Chapter 39

As Killian and I returned to the manor, he immediately started kissing my neck against the door, where anyone could see.

A chill ran down my spine, making me want to jump out of my skin and lash out.

"Will our eventful night end here, or shall you accompany me to my room?" he asked, his breath heavy against my skin.

"As tempting and appealing as that offer presents itself, I will have to think about that one" I said, pulling away from him "Preferably once I have cleaned myself of your dinner"

He smiled "But you look delicious covered in blood"

I was unsure that he could say anything else that would make me feel dirtier, but like always he managed to do so.

"Please, let me think about it; I am rather tired after all"

"As you wish; but if you grow lonely, you are welcome to join me later" he stepped forward "Can I at least see you to your room?"

"I do believe that I can make it on my own" I said, forcing a smile and quickly kissing his cheek, before making my way up the stairs, trying my best not to trip over my trembling legs.

How was I going to get the images of that man's death out of my mind? Every single time I closed my eyes, all I could see was blood and how satisfied Killian appeared as he tore into that man's flesh.

I could hear Killian beginning a conversation downstairs. I prayed that Florence was in her room and she could help me clean myself, because I was far too scared to see just how bloody I actually was.

My hand shakily knocked on her door.

"Yes?" Florence called.

"It is Cordelia, may I please come in?"

"Of course, the door is open" she called.

I rushed in and shut the door behind me, resting my head against it for a moment, while I tried to convince myself that I was safe now.

I turned, seeing Samuel groaning in pain on the bed, while Florence and Archibald stood over the bed, watching him.

"Is Samuel alright?" I asked, no longer fearing for myself anymore.

Archibald and Florence both turned, immediately shocked at the sight of my appearance I assume.

"Cordelia, what happened?" Florence asked, rushing to me "Did Killian do this?"

"It is not my blood" I said, feeling nauseous once more "During my walk with Killian, I believe he was intending to hunt as well. He killed a man in front of me; he then kissed me and got the blood all over me"

Archibald frowned "Please tell me you are joking"

My eyes watered once more, and my lip trembled "I have never seen something so violent. I mean, I have experienced violence before, but I never physically saw the person die"

Florence quickly hugged me, holding on to me tightly "Why would he do such a thing?"

"I believe he wanted to show dominance in the best way he knew how, by taking a life" Archibald answered, turning away.

I looked at Florence "I am too scared to see my appearance right now; can you please help me clean up?"

"Of course," she looked to Archibald "Can you get a bowl of water and something to clean with?"

He nodded, squeezing my shoulder before he walked out of the room.

Florence led me to a chair, insisting that I sit.