Chapter 54

I awoke to find it to be a strange day. They would be leaving tomorrow evening to return home, while I would be left with Killian.

Killian's words still found a way to hurt me, but there was little that I could do to prove that he was wrong. I did not make many decisions; I relied on others to make them for me. I would not even decide to become a vampire because I was waiting for someone to make it for me.

Perhaps that was the real reason that I was scared to give Samuel a yes regarding that choice. If I were miserable about it then I would have no one else to blame for it.

I was more than capable of allowing myself to be turned, so why was I still too frightened to say yes? If I were miserable as a vampire then at least I would still have those who cared for me around me; if I let Killian force me into staying here, I would only have him.

Outside of everyone leaving tomorrow, there was an odd tense feeling that seemed to be washed over the entire manor. No one seemed thrilled or showed any real emotions as they wandered around.

At least I was able to avoid Killian; he had locked himself away in his library for the day. I assumed that he would remain in there until tomorrow as well, because he was still quite upset that everyone was leaving him so soon.

I looked out the window, seeing that the summer night was quite beautiful. It had been raining consistently, and finally there was something beautiful to look at. Though the changing of seasons unsettled me now.

When I entered the hospital, it was winter; when I escaped, it was spring.

It was spring when I arrived here; now it was summer.

The changing of the seasons was my only indicator of how much time had passed around me. I was certain that it had been months here, but what feels like months could be weeks.

Time was disappearing right in front of me.

It felt as though everything was disappearing.

Luther walked in carrying drinks "Killian will be up here soon"

"Why is he coming up here?"

"He has returned from town, and he wishes to speak to you"

I sighed "I thought he was in his library"

"He wanted everyone to think that" he handed me a drink "He insisted I get this to you immediately though"

"What is it?"

"Some tea" he answered, watching me as though he were waiting for me to drink it.

I slowly brought the drink to my lips and took a long drink, hoping that would satisfy him.

"Are you sad to see the others leaving tomorrow?" he asked.

I nodded "Why would I not be sad?"

"I only figured since they will forget about you, why bother getting close"

"Is it because they will live forever, and I will not?"'

He shook his head "No, it is because they matter to you, but I assure you that when they return home you will no longer matter to them"

"That is awful to say"

"Sometimes the truth is awful to hear"

"Why would you assume that I do not matter to them?"

"Because they are choosing to leave you behind"

I shook my head "With Killian's control over me they would not be able to let me join them"