Chapter 40

After tossing and turning in my bed, I had given up, but refused to go to Killian because I could not sleep properly. It was something that was happening more often.

I wandered through the manor, trying to ignore all the emotions that were equally unsettled inside of me. Part of me knew that the emotions were keeping me awake; I just could not tell if it were a blessing or a curse.

My mind seemed to run from one thought to the next, but there were not any distractions that could keep me occupied enough.

I finally needed to think about these things without running from them.

Samuel saw my death, and I wondered if it would be at Killian's hand, or if it would be because of something else unexpected. There was no date for my death, but I suddenly felt like it could happen at any moment.

They all looked so hopeful at the idea of helping me and I did not want to take it from them, but I could not deal with getting my hopes up only for it to be taken from me.

If Killian knew they were conspiring against him they would surely pay for it. I did not want anything to happen to them, any of them.

"Cordelia?" someone called from down the hallway.

I turned, seeing Luther "I do hope I have not woken you" I walked towards him.

"Not at all, I usually enjoy the nights for myself"

Perhaps speaking to another human would do some good for me, but he seemed loyal to Killian. I did not want anything to reach back to Killian.

"Would you like something?" he asked "I was heading to the kitchen to prepare myself some tea"

"Tea sounds lovely" I said, not wanting to be rude.

He nodded "Would you prefer it somewhere else, or is the kitchen fine?"

"The kitchen is just fine" I followed him down the hallway into the room where he spent most of his time.

As we entered the kitchen, he went to prepare the tea, while I sat at a small wooden table.

"Is there anything I can do to help?"

He shook his head "You do not know where anything is; it is easier this way"

Being alone with Luther made me feel slightly uncomfortable, though I was unsure why; Luther had given me no reason to feel this way. Perhaps it is because I have not had many discussions with him. The most we have talked was when I first arrived, and since then it has been small things here and there.

I ran my fingers over the top of the table, quickly noticing that something was carved into the wood.

Claudia.

Camille.

Benjamin.

Were they all past servants before Luther?

I looked closer at the names, seeing Luther's name was carved underneath the others. What was this?

Luther sat down at the table "It will only be a moment longer"

I nodded, wondering whether or not to bring up the names, unsure if it was appropriate to do so.

"How has the house been treating you?" he asked, making small conversation.

I ran my finger over the names "There are a few here that make me feel quite comfortable; but then again, I am in a home filled with vampires"

He nodded "The longer that you say here, the more you will grow used to it" he said, unable to look at me directly "You are the first human that has lasted this long since I have lived here"